Bristlenoses Are Very Shy Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

techen

Wolf Overlord
Reaction score
So I bought a tiny bristlenose tank, Got rid of my bala sharks as the woman that sold me them lacked the brains to tell me tank sizes. I have a good 50L tank, With a 100w heater thats set to around 25c and a filter thats almost the same size as the tank. Anyway, I have 3 massive rocks in my tank and I can't help but loose the pleco. He likes to hide a lot and rarely comes out. I put a wafer in the tank but I havn't even seen him remotely close to it.

Is there any tips on how to keep a eye on these guys? He's only 2cm in a somewhat massive tank for himself.

I've got one in my 75 gallon, hardly ever see him. I just know he's there. I feed him fresh veggies an wafers every night, he'll get them when he wants them, but they are nocturnal catfish, don't expect a lot of outgoing behavior.

I've got one in my 75 gallon, hardly ever see him. I just know he's there. I feed him fresh veggies an wafers every night, he'll get them when he wants them, but they are nocturnal catfish, don't expect a lot of outgoing behavior.

Thanks, So just keep dropping food in there everyday?

It might depend on the individual - mine is really brave and I see him out and about all the time; as soon as he smells food he's swimming about looking for it :) but my friend's BN barely ever shows himself. They also take a while to settle in; once he's used to the tank he might show himself more often :)

It might depend on the individual - mine is really brave and I see him out and about all the time; as soon as he smells food he's swimming about looking for it
smile.png
but my friend's BN barely ever shows himself. They also take a while to settle in; once he's used to the tank he might show himself more often
smile.png
I've heard females are more active than males, that may be the case. I've have the same pleco for almost a year now and he's no more brave than he was when he was the size of my thumbnail. But it could also depend on the individual, like you said

Thanks, So just keep dropping food in there everyday?
Drop it in there before bed time, when you turn the lights out, maybe a tinge during the day to coax him out, but you want to make sure he's actually eating. My guy is always active at night, makes quick work of cucumbers and lettuce when I'm asleep.

Thanks guys, I'll need to check that hes at least eating but it's only been two days in his new tank. Could be rather stressed out.

my two are pretty active almost 24/7 but i have aglea filled tank at moment so its an all you can eat buffet for them :), i do remember when i first put them in they did hide away for about a week before getting more active so stressed and confused wont help it, have you checked your water parameters just in case, oh they are very good at camouflage if you have wood, they can be right in front of you and not see them happened to me loads :)

my two are pretty active almost 24/7 but i have aglea filled tank at moment so its an all you can eat buffet for them
smile.png
, i do remember when i first put them in they did hide away for about a week before getting more active so stressed and confused wont help it, have you checked your water parameters just in case, oh they are very good at camouflage if you have wood, they can be right in front of you and not see them happened to me loads
smile.png

I don't have wood at the moment but am going to go to the fish shop to pick some up. Am also waiting on the test kit to come so am not sure how my water is at the moment. But I live in a part of scotland were am pretty sure its soft water.

BN are predominantly Nocturnal And Shy. You do get those that are braver and more prone to moving around the tank. Mine never seems to move in the 125l. He stays in his tunnel cave and peeks his eye out of the crack to spy on me :-D

What you could try is to place a slate cave in there (ensuring no sharb edges) . He should love it in there. and if you keep the open side towards the front of the tank, you should be able to see him, However they are sneaky little blighters
yes.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back