Bristlenose Ancistrus disease bag stomach

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kluttermus

Reaction score
Hello, one of my female BN got kind of a bag under her stomach and died after under a week. I thought first it had to do with eggs because I recently put a male in the aquarium and she was very interested in him and she also made efforts to digg a cave close to his cave where she couldnt enter because there were already fries. Although I saw on another forum that a male seemed to have same problem. Nobody knew what it was though. Another theory I have is that it might be overfeeding since I have så many fries in the aquarium now and wanted to make sure they get fed. She definitly was bigger and rounder by her stomach than she was before and she was more intersted in food than the others. She was caught as an adult in the wild in a river in Colombia and I had her for 8 years after that så Im not sure about her age but I dont think age was the only problem here but could be a contributing factor. Even if she died I want to know what it was so that I can avvoid same case for other BN in future. Anyone have a clue?

Attachments

• 20210418_201341.jpg
    20210418_201341.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 573
  • 20210418_205858.jpg
    20210418_205858.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 20210421_171930.jpg
    20210421_171930.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 183
Thanks for your thoughts. What are the most likely factors to cause this and how should I act if I see same tendencies amongst other BN? I realise there might not be ansimple answer on this. I did treat for fin rot while thiswas happening. I used esha 2000. I read fin rot could be caused from contagious feeding so maybe this is a sign on that overfeeding was the problem also for the BN. Constipation I guess could cause anal prolapse. Makes sense when I think of it. I just want to make sure all the fries get enough food but I have a big tank with small fries and som fish finds food very fast while others need time to find it. I dont really know how to balance this. I guess its better if some gets a little bit less than they should than if others gets a little bit more than they should.

I know, it was my fault I guess because of overfeeding. Feel bad about it and wil definitely be more aware in future. I was so sure the wider stomach and even the bag had to do with eggs because of her earlier behavior so thats why I didnt reacted earlier. I do have 5 pieces of driftwood hidden amongst the plants. I did make the light stronger and longer to make more algae grow on the plants but Im not sure if it had good effect. Is there a way to grow algae that catfishes appreciate? Maybe grow algae in another tank? I do feed with algae waffers too sometimes. Maybe I should use this more as standard food for the BN? I will also use more fresh vegetables in future to make sure the baby fishes get enough and my Tetras and Danios wont compete for same food source. Tetras and Danios even picks upp flakes from the soil.

Thanks again for your comments.

You can grow algae outdoors in plastic tubs. Just fill a container with water and add some lawn fertiliser. Use 1 level tablespoon of granulated fertilizer for every 20 litres of water. Put some smooth rocks or plastic ornaments in the container and wait until they get covered in algae. Then put 1 or 2 algae covered items in the tank for the fish to feed on. Swap the rock/ ornament each week or more often if the fish clean it up quickly.

Fish pushing their guts out is more to do with inbreeding and too much dry food and is not normally the fault of the owner.

Most reactions

trending

Back