Bright UV light vs black UV lights for algea treatment

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Would any particular algea eating fish control it or is that naive thinking?
Your first post referred to algae bloom in ponds. Typically this is unicellular free floating algae, so no fish is going to control it. Neither will a mechanical filter as it will just pass straight through. It will die off if you remove the nutirents or the light. Neither of these is easy in a garden pond which is where the UV filter comes in. Once the UV has killed off the algae you do have to remove it from the water (usually done by the pond filter), because otherwise it creates more nutrients for even more algae. That is why I said the algae that grows on the walls of the pond DOES help. It removes the nutrients from the water and does not cloud the water.

The item description contains 2 warnings.
"Do not shine directly in eyes"
"Do not shine on skin for prolonged periods"

These apply to fish as well as humans.

The item description contains 2 warnings.
"Do not shine directly in eyes"
"Do not shine on skin for prolonged periods"

These apply to fish as well as humans.

it would be applied to the waterfall.. nobody wold see it. id put it in a container too for weather resistance...

from what Ive briefly read about wavelengths they wouldn't. they are longer wavelength.

Well I did some googling and found pond life that can eat algae though I'm guessing you are all just aquarium keepers?

I have a 7000 litre pond which is currently chrystal clear. I posted an inexpensive solution in post #12 over a month ago - this would have cleared the unicellular algae in under a week. Of course you could just wait another month and the algae will die off anyway as it gets cooler and the daylight hours decrease.

But your black light in the waterfall is not going to do anything and neither is this mythical algae eating pond life.

I have a 7000 litre pond which is currently chrystal clear. I posted an inexpensive solution in post #12 over a month ago - this would have cleared the unicellular algae in under a week. Of course you could just wait another month and the algae will die off anyway as it gets cooler and the daylight hours decrease.

But your black light in the waterfall is not going to do anything and neither is this mythical algae eating pond life.

Thanks however it's not my pond and the owner not likely to be spending £37 on this.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back