Briggan - Fishforums August 2019 Fish of the Month (Betta only) Winner

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

We run the fish of the month contest every other month. We may feature just catfish in that contest next time. FOTM alternates with the Pet of the Month contest..any pet except fish. Tank of the Month contest starts on september 1st. Take a pic or a video of a tank that you own and enter the contest.

Last edited:
Ok, to bad I don’t have catfish, wait. Do catfish in ponds count? :D

Lol, I couldn’t bring myself to do that, my pond is an actual pond. 2000 gallons plus, it has flathead, and blue catfish. :lol:

Briggan: what did you use for a camera for that photo...any hints on taking such an awesome photo?

Oh! Well, actually I just used my iPhone camera, it’s an iPhone XR. I don’t actually have a real camera so I always use my phone.

As for actually getting him to flare up, I find that bettas housed with others will more readily flare up or display. To get his attention, sometimes I will put my nail up to the glass in his line of sight, as I wear colored nail polish. I suppose it would work as well if you were to use anything that would get the fish’s attention, such as your finger, a small mirror for a short amount of time, a container of food (my fish used to recognize the container of food and get excited), or a decoration of sorts. Pretty much anything you can get your fish interested in or see as a competition. You can also try taking pictures as the fish is eating, some of my fish will flare up when eating but it might not work every time.

I also find natural light easier to photograph fish with as it brings out their natural color and isn’t too harsh to cause the fish to seek a shadier spot in the tank, although tank lights that aren’t so harsh or bright would work fine. I will also turn off most lamps around the tank to avoid glare in the picture.
I hope this is helpful :)

And another hint is to take many pictures .. even dozens..and then choose the best one.

I know I'm kind of late, but I just wanted to say congratulations! That is a really pretty betta and he deserved the win!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back