Breeding net question

fuman_chica

Fishaholic
Reaction score
How do I know when it is time to put my pregnant mollies in the breeding net? Is there anything that they do that lets you know that it is almost time?

I am going to be gone alot this week, and I don't know if I should just put some nylon stockings over the filter and just let them have they babies in the main tank (it is heavily planted), or if I should put them in the breeding net. The net is fairly good sized...6 1/2 inches x 5 1/4 inches x 5 inches. But I don't wanna leave them in there the whole time I'm gone. I'll be here every once in a while this week, so I could check on them, but I don't want them to think they are being punished or anything. If I let them have the babies in the tank, the babies are going to have to live in there until they are big, because it has so many plants in there now, I would never be able to find them all.

They both are getting fairly large, but their size keeps changing. They gets alot bigger right after they eat, and then about a half hour or so later, they are alot smaller, but still look pregnant. Is that normal?

Here are pictures of Tigger and Sunshine so you can see how big they are...Tigger is huge!!!! The first picture is Tigger (the fish on the left is Punk), the second Sunshine. Both pictures were taken today.

PunkTigger03.JPG

Sunshine19.JPG

Thanks for your guys' help. =O)

Tansy

what i would do is put the biggest one in the net over evernight until she pops but during the day i would watch her quite a bit

The thing is that I don't know if Tigger just looks more into her pregnancy because she is bigger than Sunshine. Sunshine has been in with the male longer than Tigger has. I have only had Tigger with the male for 18 days. Sunshine has been with the male since before July 26th...that is what day I got her and the male. They were in the same tank at the store.

Tigger is about as long as these dashes together ---------------------------------
Sunshine is smaller than Tigger. Only about like ----------------------

So, Tigger could just look bigger because she is a bigger fish. But I don't know.

If I can catch her, I'll put her in the net...but she is hard to catch...and I have a ton of plants in there now...:p

im thinkin the best would be spend 7 more dollars and get a nother breeding net i think that would be the easiest thing to do then put them both in differant nets at night but if your like me and dont have alot of money (cuz im 13) you might be older and have a job but that could be the easyies

Any chance you can get a pic from behind the tail of the fish looking forward? Or front on otherwise, its hard to tell exactly how wide they are :) They definately are pregnant though :)

I'll try William, but they are little boogers and don't like to stay still...it took me a half hour to get two clear pictures of them... :rolleyes:

I have been trying to get pictures for like...the last 2 hours or so...I got some of Sunshine, because she has been staying in the same spot...but Tigger is another story...she won't stay still...

So here is Sunshine:

water008.jpg

water010.jpg

Most reactions

Back