Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Breeding Guppies

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by C.low88, Jul 19, 2019.

1. C.low88

C.low88 New Member

I have a 29 gallon tank that I setup for guppies. I recently purchased some fish the other day (2 males 2 females) and I had a question regarding the fish. I am relatively accustomed to keeping livebearers as I’ve had swordtails and guppies in the past. I am well aware that unless I separate my guppies they will breed and my question is regarding female size regulations. The two females that I have are relatively small and I was wondering if I should be cautious about them breeding as they seem fairly small for breeding. I know that once they’ve reached sexual maturity that they are ready for breeding but I’m not opposed to separating the males to prevent this. I was also wondering how many guppies I can put in a 29 gal? Should I separate my guppies or am I being too cautious? I was considering buying some larger females when they are available or maybe buying only males.

2. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator Tank of the Month Winner!

If you are buying only males to make a male Only tank then that’s fine. If you are going to put male and females together then I would buy more females, not more males. Otherwise the males will stress the females out. Mother Nature usually takes care of things and when a female is of breeding age she is ready. She may have a small brood the first couple of times. I have males only in my tank.

#2 Deanasue, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  3. seangee

seangee Member

If they are in the same tank the females are already "pregnant".

• Agree Agree x 1