Breeding Galaxy Rasboras

tenohfive

Always room for one more tank...
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
2,229
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
Beds, UK
I'm looking to start breeding galaxy rasboras in the next months or so, and I'm struggling to find some kind of article anywhere on the subject.

I've bought a 30x15x12 tank for them and set it up in my loft. Can someone walk me through the process? This will be my first attempt at breeding.
 
I've got a few fry in the last year but only raised a couple. 1 I hatched in Nov 07 is now fully mature and just under adult size.

Getting good breeding stock is hard though 99% of fish in shops are very thin and mine took 3 months of feeding of feeding on 80% live foods to contation and have good fat females.

I feed daily with white worm and now and then with mosquito lave and some flake.

fry are tiny and need microscopic foods like micro worm or vinegar eel.

I raise mine in with the parents but a rearing tank would be better and use a turkey baster to catch the fry in to transfer them.
 
Are they still close to being endangered or are they off that list already? They dont seem too appealing for 20 bucks if they arent on the list anymore.
 
I belive in lake Inle they have been desamated and only a hand full are left.

How ever they have been found in at least 2 other lakes from what i read somewhere.
 
Yeah. I read PFK saying that they advise people only to buy if they intend to breed. I wanted them when I first started but wasn't interested in breeding them. Now I am, and intend to pick up UK bred ones to start with.

Doesn't hurt to combine being responsible with your hobby from time to time.

Are there any breeders within the M25 on here?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top