Breeding Electric Yellows?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gidge

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all. 

My Dad has had a 95L for a while now, with some cichlids in it. He went with the advice of the LFS despite my protests. Anyway, safe to say he has learnt his lesson now. I've moved them to my larger 110G tank where they will be much happier. 

Among these cichlids are two Electric Yellow's. I've left them in this 95L, rescaped it the best I could with what I had lying around.

THINK they are male and female. I've tried to get a picture but they're still shy at the moment. 

The one I'm assuming is male, has brilliant black colouring on dorsal, pectoral and his ventral fin. My local cichlid supplier tells me that this is a good indication.
The assumed female, has light black/dark grey along her dorsal and no markings anywhere else. 

They seemed to buddy up when the other cichlids were in there. The assumed male has already started flaring up his gills at her in the last hour that I've finished the tank. 

Questions; 

Do you think my assumptions are correct?

I'd be pretty keen on breeding them, but have no idea where to start, or do I just let them do their own thing?

Any tips and advice would be very much appreciative. 

Be careful, sometimes one male african will bully a single female, ideally you want 3 females to a male so the aggression is spread.Sounds like you do have a male and female though. Good luck!

Awilcox said:
Be careful, sometimes one male african will bully a single female, ideally you want 3 females to a male so the aggression is spread.Sounds like you do have a male and female though. Good luck!
agree ^ they are really easy to breed but I have a group of m/f's and other malawis in with them

Like the others said you need a group to breed mbuna, they are herm spawners and don't pair off breeding with different males and females each time. I would shoot for a group of 8-10, these guys are easier on the females than most so male to female numbers arnt that big of a deal.

Thanks for the responses. In a 95L though do you think I can get away with adding any more?

I would say you could add another 2 females with no problems

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back