Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Breeding CPD

Discussion in 'Tropical Discussion' started by Ryan_F, Sep 13, 2019 at 6:22 PM.

1. Ryan_F

Ryan_F Fish Fanatic

Changed my mind for my 9gal,
    Decided on some CPD, obviously they are a newly discovered fish and I noticed they are quite pricey, if I got 5-6 to start and then bred them, got the numbers up to 10-12 and sold the rest to the pet shops would that be an option?
    If yes, how do you breed them, do you need to seperate males and females? Different tanks? Are they easy to breed or not?
    Appreciate any advice.
    Thank you,
    Also I want to learn about everything about fish, like how to tell what sickness they have etc and any other things that I should know.
    I just want to be knowledgeable enough to be able to help people out on the forums,
    I’ve only been in the hobby for 18 months and I absolutely love it, think I’ve got MTS though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. fish48

fish48 Member

Celestial pearl danios are not the easiest of danios to breed
    The way I spawn them was to put three pairs in a species only tank with plenty of plants and a good quality flake food and fed small live foods however I didn't get a large number of fry./

I find the best way to spawn most danio species is to separate male and female for at least a week or two and feed them plenty of food . to get any fish in best breeding conditions live food is a must

Set up fish tank with two layers of marbles with a depth of 4 to 6 inches of water place a pair in the tank best in the evening just before you turn the light off . usually spawn within 24-48 hours adults should then be moved
    the difficult part is feeding the Fry I feed boiled egg yolk, liquefy number 1 for egg layers will be far safer to use. care must be taking when feeding it is so easy to pollute the water

#2 fish48, Sep 14, 2019 at 10:02 PM
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 10:08 PM
  3. Ryan_F

Ryan_F Fish Fanatic

Ok thank you very much, I watched a video and he seperate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

You don't want to separate sexes for any more than 7 days because females can become egg bound. Most fish will breed readily after being separated for 4-5 days.

Feed the adult fish 3-5 times per day for at least 2 (preferably 4) weeks before breeding them. This allows the fish to develop good quality gametes (eggs & sperm) and you get more young and healthier young.

The following link has information about culturing food for baby fish. It takes about a month to get green water or infusoria so start cultures before you start breeding. I used to start cultures when I start conditioning the adults so there is food for the young as soon as they hatch.
    https://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/