Breeding: Convicts? Mollies? Guppies?

piranha_tim

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
412
Reaction score
0
Points
0
HI Everyone,

I am thinking of breeding Convicts? Mollies? Guppies? anyone have any advice? Or which one is a better choice.

I am looking for an attractive fish that would also make a good feeder fish possibly.
 
they're all easy to breed but I would say go with the convicts just because you get to see them as they protect and turn into parents along the way. Though they would need a larger tank and you would also need to be sure once they start breeding you dont let them overrun the tank. They breed very quickly!!
 
i bought a pair today and already theyve paired up and shes about to lay her eggs. her colors are unbelievable right now:)
 
Thank you everyone ...

I am looking to house them in a 55 Gallon ... would this be enough? for a pair?
 
What else could I put in with my breeding pair of convicts? In a 55G?
 
So I am thinking a 55G would this be a good size for a breeding pair of Convicts?

I guess with the Convicts agression having them with any other fish is somewhat limited?
 
Hmm, tough to say, probably a peaceful fish larger than the cons, perhaps a Chaca chaca frogmouthed catfish, though they might eat fry.
 
How big does a convict get?
How many fry are produced and are all expected to survive in tank conditions?

Would Mollies and Fancy Guppies produce less ... The benefit with them is that even at full size they could still be acceptable feeder fish to my Piranha when the tank becomes over-ran

Convicts wouldn't work out once they got to big it would be about re-homing them.
 
Here is my ultimate goal.

I would like to setup another tank.

I am looking for a good looking fish that would be good as a feeder fish for when they breed for my Piranha. (to very his diet and to remove the over breeding problem)
Some I plan to give away I don't beleive in sending them all into the Piranha tank.

But it would be nice maybe for some other fish in there for pure show. (i.e. Another species to vary things)

I am thinking about 55G in size.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top