Brackish Water Tanks

Tony2099

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im thing about doing a brackish water tank. What would I need to turn my 48 0r 58 gallon tank to a brackish water tank?

Thank You

Marine salt and a hydrometer to check the salinity. Keep in mind that brackish is between fresh water and sea water and not all brackish fish thrive at the same salinity as other brackish fish

Would this be a good mix for a brackish water tank.

Prehistoric Dragon Goby
 3 Mono
 5 Bumble Bee Goby
 1 Red claw crab..I will put some so he can get out of the water
 Freshwater Flounder

and maby a Rope fish..I reda that they can live in fresh or brackish water.

Thank You

Hey tony.
I'd chuck some mollies into the mix maybe 3-5. They'd really appreciate the brackish water.

Just googled dragon goby and it would out grow your tank. Up to 2 foot I hear. I'd leave that out of the mix.
Apparently monos also get large ( 1 foot ) so leave them out too. Rope fish get even bigger than dragon gobies -almost 3 foot- so those are definitely a negative. The flounder could eat the bumblebee gobies.

Could I move the dragon goby to a big freshwater tank when he get to big?

I guss I will have the backish to see if I can run one befo going to salt.

Tony2099 said:
 Could I move the dragon goby to a big freshwater tank when he get to big?

I don't think the Dragon Goby would do well in freshwater.  As for your other fish:

Prehistoric Dragon Goby        Sg1.005-Marine.
 3 Mono                                  Sg1.005-Marine
 5 Bumble Bee Goby              Sg1.002-1.005.
 1 Red claw crab.                   Not sure but I think Sg1.010-Marine
 Freshwater Flounder            Sg1.002-1.005.
and maby a Rope fish            Not sure.

You may be ok with 3 Monos but 6 would be better.  I'd only have a Red Claw in a dedicated species tank, the same way I would treat a Fiddler.  Bumblebee Gobies (BBG) are lovely little fish but will be preyed upon by larger inhabitants.  Flounders are notoriously hard to feed and tank mates must be chosen with care (my Scats picked mine to death).

You could go for a low salinity tank with Orange Chromides/BBG's/Figure 8 Puffers/halfbeaks/Knight Gobies. 
You could go for a mid-high salinity tank with option to go full marine with Columbian catfish/Scats/Mono's/Green Spotted or Ceylon Puffers.

You've got to ask your self what SG you want to run your tank at and you haven't said how big the tank is. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back