Brackish Water Corals

OK, I get the cooking part. But there are some things I see others do, but some people don't. So which is right?

1. Do I wash the rice?
2. Do I pre-soak the rice before cooking?
3. Do I put a towel over the pot to keep the steam in?
4. Do I add salt and/or oil?

I've seen all of these being done by people who get it right. But doesn't seem to help me!

Cheers, Neale

only after cooking rinse through with boiling water to get rid of starchiness
no
no but a lid on the saucepan might help!
i add oil, before putting water it put a glug of oil in and stir all the rice around so it's seperated, this will stop it sticking together.

keep stirring it while you cook it, and do a medium heat, too high or too low will make it go manky.

and yes as someone else said, good quality rice will help you out a lot!

Well, I'm getting basmati rice from Waitrose, so I assume that's as good as any?

The towel goes between the lid and the pan, to make it airtight, I think. Keep more steam in. But maybe that's because I have saucepans with spouts, so the lid doesn't make a proper seal to begin with.

The latest bag of rice actually says "soak for 20 minutes" for best results. :blink:

I think good rice is genetic. You can either make it, or not. I can't.

Cheers, Neale

Well, I'm getting basmati rice from Waitrose, so I assume that's as good as any?

The towel goes between the lid and the pan, to make it airtight, I think. Keep more steam in. But maybe that's because I have saucepans with spouts, so the lid doesn't make a proper seal to begin with.

The latest bag of rice actually says "soak for 20 minutes" for best results. :blink:

I think good rice is genetic. You can either make it, or not. I can't.

Cheers, Neale

oooh waitrose, get you ;)

we use asda

maybe, i've just used our normal lids which are pretty good, glass ones with a little hole in to let excess steam out.

well if it say's it try it. i never have and my rice is normally alright.

getting the right quantity i struggle with.... always either have 10 tonnes or barely enough to go round :rolleyes:

I should explain about Waitrose in Berkhamsted. There's only two supermarkets here, that one, which is giant and very nice (but expensive) and a tiny Tesco that is possibly the worst branch in their entire company. Truly horrible, and going there puts you off your dinner. The staff are nice and friendly, but the range is limited and none of that "new look" Tesco stuff... it's all broiler chickers and pulpy white bread. Since I don't drive, I can't easily get to Sainsbury's in Hemel, which would perhaps be a better balance between quality and price.

Anyway, don't want you to think I'm one of those horrible snobs driving a 4-wheel drive and only eating quail's eggs and fois gras. I am a snob, of course, but I don't drive anything and I can't stand paté of any kind.

Woah... are we off brackish water fish or what?

Neale

I should explain about Waitrose in Berkhamsted. There's only two supermarkets here, that one, which is giant and very nice (but expensive) and a tiny Tesco that is possibly the worst branch in their entire company. Truly horrible, and going there puts you off your dinner. The staff are nice and friendly, but the range is limited and none of that "new look" Tesco stuff... it's all broiler chickers and pulpy white bread. Since I don't drive, I can't easily get to Sainsbury's in Hemel, which would perhaps be a better balance between quality and price.

Anyway, don't want you to think I'm one of those horrible snobs driving a 4-wheel drive and only eating quail's eggs and fois gras. I am a snob, of course, but I don't drive anything and I can't stand paté of any kind.

Woah... are we off brackish water fish or what?

Neale

ha ha ha, i'm just teasing you!

gotta love the chelsea tractor brigade! ;)

well i drive a micra but i do like pate so maybe i'm a half snob :rolleyes:

indeed sorry back to topic!!

i guess it's gonna depend what salinity brackish your talking about... we have some corals in our marine tank that are much happier when the salinity is a little low and have a bit of a tantrum if evaporation leaves it too high so I'd assume if your careful in your selection and operate a relativley high end brackish tank that there would be some that happily cross over.

Whoa, nice recovery! I'm very impressed.

Cheers, NEale

i guess it's gonna depend what salinity brackish your talking about... we have some corals in our marine tank that are much happier when the salinity is a little low and have a bit of a tantrum if evaporation leaves it too high so I'd assume if your careful in your selection and operate a relativley high end brackish tank that there would be some that happily cross over.

he he he a marvellous blag considering i know sweet f a about brackish stuff ;)

meh, i'm staying OT. :p

my long-time boyfriend was essentially raised in his parent's Chinese take-away (his is, btw, 100% Chinese ;) ). according to him and in my experience, the best way to cook rice is to use a rice-cooker. rinse the rice 2-3 times (any less and it's gunky, any more and you lose all of the enrichment). the best ratio of water to rice depends on the type of rice used and should be specified in the cooker's manual. the cooker will then steam away to its heart's content until the sensor kicks, whereupon it will switch to "warming" mode. if you cook with "jasmine" rice (or so its called in the States), then you should be able to smell when its done :drool: the result if you're cooking a white rice will be slightly sticky when hot but the grains will loosen up as they cool.

rice cookers come in all sorts of sizes. my bf has a very large 12-serving cooker that was originally his parents; i have a little cheapie 4-serving cooker that i got for ~$10. mine is probably only 8" in diameter and easily stores in a cabinet, but isn't non-stick. i'd advise getting one with a non-stick pot if you have the option.

however, if you're wanting to cook a rice mix such as saffron rice, then just follow the instructions on the packet! although i personally go a little easy on the oils since i've been weaned onto sticky rice :p

Wow! I'm pleased my post has attracted so many people. ( Cooking fans ).
I'm not quite sure why the topic Brackish Water Corals managed to
lead to how to cook rice probaly!

I second the rice cooker. It is one of the few appliances/furniture/possessions that survive from my bachelor days (My tank may be the only other exception). Scoop in one, two, or three cups of rice, then fill the pot with water to the appropriate line. Push the button and walk away. Perfect everytime.

Wow! I'm pleased my post has attracted so many people. ( Cooking fans ).
I'm not quite sure why the topic Brackish Water Corals managed to
lead to how to cook rice probaly!

ask nmonks, he started it ;) sorry that i have nothing of actual use to contribute to the conversation about corals... don't eat those... :p

There are many brackish/freshwater inverts. It is easy to find freshwater sponges,jellyfish,and hydra at your local lake. Freshwater sponges can be found in almost any body of freshwater. I have had brittle stars in my tank for 48 hrs. and they are still alive! 1.013

There are many brackish/freshwater inverts. It is easy to find freshwater sponges,jellyfish,and hydra at your local lake. Freshwater sponges can be found in almost any body of freshwater. I have had brittle stars in my tank for 48 hrs. and they are still alive! 1.013
Keeping something alive for 48 hours is hardly an achievement.

Most marine fish can survive two weeks or more at an SG as low as 1.006, but that could not, and should not, be classed as success.

Most reactions

Back