Invader Xan
Fish Crazy
Ok, so to give a small amount of background, I was in the process of cycling a 10 gallon tank, when a large piece of mopani wood got itself a nice furry coating of water mould.
Looked about the forum for a bit and realised this was a fairly common occurence. After spending a while trying to figure out the most hassle-free remedy, I decided to turn the tank brackish to kill off the mould.
Sure, it'll interrupt the cycling, but it had only been full of water for about a week, anyway. The only plants I currently have in there are val and java fern -- both of which can quite happily tolerate brackish water.
Basically, I decided that I might keep the tank mildly brackish. So my plan is this:
Tank
* 10 gallons
* Specific Gravity: 1.002 - 1.005 (I'm still reading up on how saline my water should be)
Plants
* Java Fern
* Java Moss
* Val (Tape grass)
* Marimo (Moss balls)
Animals
* Red Clawed Crab
* 4-8 Amano Shrimp
* 1-2 Triops
* 3 Glassfish
According to various posts around this forum, all of these animals should be perfectly happy in brackish water, and often are in the wild. Plus all of these are nicely small critters, so I don't think that would be overstocked -- but I'm not sure, which is why I'm posting this here.
Can anyone give me any constructive criticisms on my plan? I'd rather get advice from people than screw things up completely.
Thanks in advance...
Looked about the forum for a bit and realised this was a fairly common occurence. After spending a while trying to figure out the most hassle-free remedy, I decided to turn the tank brackish to kill off the mould.
Sure, it'll interrupt the cycling, but it had only been full of water for about a week, anyway. The only plants I currently have in there are val and java fern -- both of which can quite happily tolerate brackish water.
Basically, I decided that I might keep the tank mildly brackish. So my plan is this:
Tank
* 10 gallons
* Specific Gravity: 1.002 - 1.005 (I'm still reading up on how saline my water should be)
Plants
* Java Fern
* Java Moss
* Val (Tape grass)
* Marimo (Moss balls)
Animals
* Red Clawed Crab
* 4-8 Amano Shrimp
* 1-2 Triops
* 3 Glassfish
According to various posts around this forum, all of these animals should be perfectly happy in brackish water, and often are in the wild. Plus all of these are nicely small critters, so I don't think that would be overstocked -- but I'm not sure, which is why I'm posting this here.
Can anyone give me any constructive criticisms on my plan? I'd rather get advice from people than screw things up completely.
Thanks in advance...
I've read everything from 'mould is harmless and will disappear in a few days' to 'once you get mould, you'll need to throw away your bogwood'.
All very confusing. All I know is it was threatening to take over my substrate (and infested one of my plants) till I added some salt to the water... Coincidence, possibly. *shrug* Oh well, no harm done.
/www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=180644), I think the jury might still be out on the crabs with triops. I was intending to have enough bogwood to give the crab (singular) somewhere dry to sit. Twas just one idea. Perhaps best abandoned.







