Boyu Tl 550

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lol thats one of the reasons I didnt go for it in the end (as nice as it looks). would have about 6ft of eggcrate to cover and it would have cost a load using bi-orb media (and taking AGES). I did think about using rock rubble as well but LR rubble would be pretty expensive I think and getting base rock and breaking it up would probably end up giving you lots of sharp edges bits that might not look so great.

Lookin Good!
See you again at the weekend Charlie....LOL
Biorb media covered the eggcrate better Sef.
Start by seperating the biggest pieces of media and get them stuck down first then piece in with the smaller bits. By the time your nearly done you'll simply look at a hole and instinctively pick up the right piece to stick into it.
Told you it would take some time. But I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.
Regards
BigC

Cheers Big C
Just getting ready for the night shift LOL :hyper:
I plan to do at least an hour every night so I plan to have it finsihed by the weekend all going well.
:good:

Yeah do it about an hour at a time each nite or you'll soon get fed up. I planned to finish mine in a week but things kept cropping up and it took atleast two. I can honestly tell you I reckon you'll be using around 4-6 boxes of media by the time you've done.
Should look good when it matures though
Regards
BigC

Hello all :shout:
Well heres a small update done a little more last night, doesn't seem to be getting any higher had to go buy another pack today, anyway heres a few pictures for you.

Picture_025.jpg

Picture_023.jpg

Picture_026.jpg

:good:

Little bit of an idea here Charlie may take a bit more media but I feel it will look better. The way it looks at the minute its pretty much two dimensional and because you havn't got the side walls it looks pretty flat. (sorry just an opinion) Ok to make it more interesting I would take your off-cuts of eggcrate (shape some pieces build them up on top of each other) and stick it on the eggcrate wall and build your media out over the top of these and make some outcrops randomly here and there large and smaller ones. This I think would make it more interesting and give it a 3D effect. Do you understand what I mean.
Would look all that more stunning when set up. What do ya think!
Regards
BigC

Do you mean like shelves or lay flat parts of eggcrate on top of each other and stick to the wall to create boulder like sculptures?
Its hard to picture what you mean but i think I know :crazy:

Watch this space!

Thanks for that Big C I appreciate it :good:

Dont make them like flat sheves but simply build up the eggcrate on eggcrate (flat on flat) Stick a large piece on your background and then cut a smaller piece of similar shape and stick that on top of that and cover the outcrops with the media, I think it would look a whole lot better. Do this about 2/3rds up the face of your background, toward the surface as your LR will be covering the bottom area somewhat. I should have done it at the time.
Should turn out nice.
Regards
BigC

Took Big C's advice and made my first outcrop on my backdrop, I think it may be a little on the small side but i plan to do 1 more near the top. Give me your honest opinion.

Picture_027.jpg

Picture_028.jpg

Picture_029.jpg

Don't think pictures do it justice lying down will post some tommorow of it in the tank.

i wouldn't go to town on trying to make the background super complicated.

For me its more about giving the background a bit of character instead of just the flat rock.

Don't forget that once the live rock goes in a lot of the background will be obscured.

I like what you have done so far. keep it up.

Damn I really wish I had done this. It does look really cool. Good job on the outcroping bit. Think thats just about right. No need to have massive bits sticking out but the odd small bump or cave here and there will look cool.

How many boxes of media do you two recon it would take to cover about 6ftX1.5ft of egg crate?

Thanks for the comment :blush:
I'm on my third box now and I will probably need to buy another 2, I think BigC used 10 boxes on his and his is a 2ft tank, so I would think probably 30??
Updated pictures

Picture_030.jpg

Picture_031.jpg

Picture_032.jpg

Hope you like!

what an idea that was Big C. that could look awesome when its done

Damn I really wish I had done this. It does look really cool. Good job on the outcroping bit. Think thats just about right. No need to have massive bits sticking out but the odd small bump or cave here and there will look cool.

How many boxes of media do you two recon it would take to cover about 6ftX1.5ft of egg crate?

About 3 weeks of constant sticking too

Yeah I would make it jut out just a little bit more on another few outcrops nearer the surface, Its adopting a bit of character now though, dont you think. Much better than just a flat wall.
Just be careful you dont go outiide the edges of the eggcrate with the media and be ultra careful when placing the background in and out of your tank as you dont want to scratch that acrylic.
Comming along nicely though.
Keep up the good work Charlie, following this thread with interest.

WTG
Regards
BigC

Hi
I can start to see an end product now unfortunatley I ran out of large pieces of media tonight so i began filling in the gaps with the small bits I had left over so it's another trip to the LFS to buy a couple more boxes. Taking Big C's advice I built the existing outcrop out abit further.
With nothing to do after this I decided to cable tie two more egg crate scultures ready for tommorow, what do you think?
Picture_033.jpg
Picture_034.jpg

Big C was your eggcrate backdrop attached direct to the back of your tank? Have you any ideas how I should attach the end product to my tank? :unsure:
I was just going to put a blob of silicone to attach it as I dont need access to the rear of the tank what do you think?
Also do you think I should have the gates open or closed before I attach it?

Cheers

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back