Boyu Tl 550

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hi again,
The gent before me ran two of them i believe he cut away part of the plastic on the right hand side of the tank to accomidate the skimmer cup of the V120.

(Ah, he haas replaced the original skimmer with a new one and you already have the power head i suggested) What power head???

sorry for all the questions Seffie.

Can you tell me in order form left to right what you have in your filter chambers ( if your looking down on them)?
Just my UV seems to be in a different place to yours. :unsure:

(Ah, he haas replaced the original skimmer with a new one and you already have the power head i suggested) What power head???

The power head is in the picture with your skimmer
:good:

sorry for all the questions Seffie. No problem at all

Can you tell me in order form left to right what you have in your filter chambers ( if your looking down on them)?
Just my UV seems to be in a different place to yours. :unsure:

Apologies for all the water in the picture - thought I had cropped them!
So from left to right:
the power to the spray bar and at the bottom a little power head
next - live rock rubble with a bag of rowphos

moto_0107.jpg

Next comes the heater + a bit more lr rubble
and then the skimmer with uv inside

moto_0108.jpg

FTS, just getting ready for my weekly chores - got water in bucket with salt mixing away with the power head and coming up to temp. with the heater :good:

moto_0109.jpg

Seffie x

:fish:

Just to add to your confusion :crazy:

Mine is slightly differant
from left to right as you look at tank

Powerhead/spray bar - Heater - LR rubble/rhowphos - protein skimmer

As for the weirs on right hand side I assume its just to adjust water flow to back chambers my bottom one is closed, top ones open, but for no particular reason TBH :blush: as seffie said she doesn't have them on hers so I really don't think they make any real differance open or closed :good:

Seffie your tank differs from mine ,my layout is exactly the same as Trod.

In your first picture Seffie the the black thing that is connected to your spray bar-isn't that the UV???
Just you say the UV is in the chamber where the skimmer is. :blink:

So confusing you two are probably sick of all the questions just need to get my head round the layout we are getting there :crazy: .

Just to put a spanner in the works is it worth me removing the stock skimmer and replacing with V2 120???? Would this be a benefit or should i just see how I get on??

Believe it or not i should be working :shout:

By the way it might be of interest but i sell to the construction industry and we supply silicone and i can get Aquarium silicone cheap-

Seffie your tank differs from mine ,my layout is exactly the same as Trod. Yes, i thought it might

In your first picture Seffie the the black thing that is connected to your spray bar-isn't that the UV???
Just you say the UV is in the chamber where the skimmer is. :blink: well, i thought it was with the skimmer, but to be honest i have never checked as you are not supposed to be able to see it - but i'm sure Cage will be along again soon and he will tell us i'm sure, To be honest, if it ain't broke why fix it! however, bigger skimmer is better :good:

So confusing you two are probably sick of all the questions just need to get my head round the layout we are getting there :crazy: .
Not at all, I had loads of questions and everyone on the Nano section helped out loads

Believe it or not i should be working :shout: I'm on half term holiday :kana: so doing a bit of work and reading TFF

By the way it might be of interest but i sell to the construction industry and we supply silicone and i can get Aquarium silicone cheap-

Now that is worth remembering :good:

Seffie x

Would be good to confirm where the UV is, i like to have an understanding of the workings of the tank far better to learn at the moment rather than when its full.
I might look into putting the v120 in the same place as the stock skimmer it might fit.
Well no doubt i'll speak to you all later i'm off home to go trick or treating with my 2 year old and better half.

Speak later :rolleyes:

Done a bit of home work - apparently my tank is the newer version - they have stopped putting those gates in, so I would assume that means it is better to keep them shut. Read a few mails on another forum which says if you don't close the bottom ones they tend to suck in the sand :crazy:

UV - yes, looks like it is in the first box on the left hand side - Cage will update us I am sure :good:

Enjoy trick or tricking :devil: two is such a lovely age, they grow far too fast and soon they are twenty eight gawd :hyper:

Seffie x

Seffie, Charlie.

I have the 450tl and on my layout the UV is in the far right hand chamber (the one that the gates lead to). It is a black tubular casing that attaches directly onto the filter powerhead which feeds the original skimmer. When new, it is covered by a cylindrical foam pad which I removed. Your layout may be different.
Yes I keep my bottom gate closed as a precaution to prevent sand being sucked up into the powerhead impeller.

I also notice that over time, one or two of the gates close by themselves, probably water movement through them or something. No big deal but worth keeping an eye on.

CageUK

Where as on the TL550 the UV is attached to the spray bar (which is the 1st chamber) then a length of green tubing attaches to the powerhead in the bottom of the chamber.

The skimmer is in the chamber with the bank of gates and this has its own pump which is part of the skimmer, it also has the foam pad still on must be some kind of filter?

I'll close the bottom gate when i fill, it's all pretty technical stuff. :shout:

CageUK if you get the chance take some photos of your filter chambers and post them for me if you don't mind sounds like the two tanks are very different in terms of filtration. :good:

Cage, that was what I also understood - the UV filter was attached to the skimmer :good: I suppose if the skimmer has been replaced you might not have the UV, what do you think Cage?

Seffie x

Picture.JPG

Skimmer on the left and UV on the right???
(at least i think thats what the little black thing is as it has a power lead to it)

Also on the stand does the tank just sit on top or is there some kind of thing that would stop the tank sliding off if it was pushed, just forward thinking incase the little one decides to put some pressure on it. Any thoughts??

Mine just sits on the stand :good:

Thanks for the photos, interesting. I have never taken all the bits out so just assumed.............I know, never assume anything ;)

Seffie x

I actually turn my protein skimmer off for a few days a week as I feed phytoplankton to my corals and I was told that the skimmer will remove all the good things as well as bad. Please correct me if I'm wrong :blush:

View attachment 54033

Skimmer on the left and UV on the right???
(at least i think thats what the little black thing is as it has a power lead to it)

Also on the stand does the tank just sit on top or is there some kind of thing that would stop the tank sliding off if it was pushed, just forward thinking incase the little one decides to put some pressure on it. Any thoughts??

Yep that's it.
It does sound like the two tanks are laid out very differently. Your skimmer for instance looks to contain an integral water/air pump which mine doesn't. And yes the foam block is a filter. You will need to wash that on a regular basis to prevent build up of detritus which will cause excess nitrates and restrict flow to the skimmer.

Trod you are correct about the skimmer, but you should also turn off the UV as I believe this will kill off phyto as well. I stand to be corrected though.

Sorry charlie2005 to hi jack your thread :blush:
Cage how on earth do I turn UV off :crazy:
My skimmer is exactly the same as charlie's but don't know anything about little black thing!!!!! I do have a small little box thingy which goes to something could that be UV plug

004.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back