Box's Marine Kingdom

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Box

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Right o guys,
I have taken the plunge I've just grabbed around 8 ish kilo of live rock off eBay for the grand total of £13.50
Power head from a member on here that's winging it's way to me now ;p
photo-35.jpg

Will do a water change on this soon!
Just need to empty my juwel 125 of all fish and plant life in the next couple of days and the build will start woot!!!
Already seen lots of little star fish mooching about in there

That looks like some decent live rock there! Especially for £13 :angry: i paid £10 a kilo, wish i went on ebay now!
What do the starfish look like? some can multiply really quick, and eat some coral (if that's what you intend to put in)

I had Asterina star fish that came with my liverock. I had loads and was told to remove them... still have 2-3 i've seen, which isn't a problem, and will remove them if they start to multiply.

I'll keep an eye on this one :good:

Gethin

ive posted your powehead dude and i just hope thats her bad writing which has "SST" instead of "5ST"
crazy.gif
only just noticed on the reciept...worriedddd! oh well its insured either way lol. Now onto project plans!
what are your aspirations? lil reef? fish only? :)
what equipment you packing? ;)

Equipment wise
Tank ;)
Heater
Power head ( hopefully ) ;)
Live rock
Test kit
And that's it lol
This will be a slow build emptied tank of all freshy stuff today. Just got to clean it now lol
Once clean I'll fill it with salt water premixed at lfs and get the rock in
Next Fridays pay day so skimmer will be bought then but I'll run it a week with out while I muck around with the rock that should be ok I think
Also need another 6 kilo of rock then buy two marine t5s
Then leave around a month to settle
Then add another one or two t5s
Want a mini reef with some fish hopefully
I bid on the rock not thinking it would go do cheap lol so this build is about 2 months early
Will post loads of pics at every stage
Feels good after running two fresh community tanks for a new challenge

Power head ( hopefully ) ;)
it would suck if my 1st sale on these forums got arsed up because a girl cant write lol. dont worry though theres no "SST" postcode(i googled it hahah) and the rest of ur address is correct :p
Fills good after running two fresh community tanks for a new challenge
I know this feeling very well and marine for me is much more rewarding :)

... i really dont like premixed salt for some reason i dont know why i think i may be abit OCD over control of my own parameters lol :p

dont forget a refractometer, even though ur salt is mixed you'll wana have 1 handy just incase things go abit pete tong lol. Unless ur LFS is like 5mins away and u dont mind relying on theres :)
seems like youve done your research on how to set up a marine tank though
good.gif

grats on the rock aswell looks like its got plenty of life!

Only going to use premix water just to get the rock in once in and I've arranged it...... And arranged it again I'll prob buy some salt and start to mix my own.
As I'll be doing a few water changes no doubt

Right guys done lots of reading now I would like some help with stocking in a month or so time.
Be going for a few softy corals to start with as the light I have won't support hard yet!
What fish could I have in the future? And how many?
I like clowns, angels, gobies and shrimp combo
Give some suggestions please :)
Tanks about 29 gallons (125 litres)
From this
photo-47.jpg

To this :p
photo-45.jpg

All clean and ready to go!!!!
Salt water and rock going in hopefully fri/sat :)
Cheers

Nice tank! I had the same Juwel Rio 125l!!! (Actually its the pic of my signature!)

There are quite a few people who have converted these to reef tanks so you take a lil peep at our old journals and see what we did etc.

Can't wait to see the progress on this!

Sounds cool that I'll be able to put the fish I like in :)
I really enjoyed at as a fresh set up but my 55 gal would cost too much to convert into marine ..... Well we see lol
I'll probably runt external 2213 on this when the rock goes in just to help clear, what do you think ?

Hope I've worked it out correctly now :p hate doing fish maths lol.
I run a external just to keep the water mechanically and chemically clear, aslong you keep up with cleaning the sponges out you'll be fine :)

OOOH! A fresh start! So much you can do here. Look at things like painting the back etc before you get started ( i did not, and then I ended up painting a nice clean super flat piece of cardboard that does the trick, and you'd never know,but with I painted tank before water lol). Are you going to overflow and sump? Are you gonna get a skimmer? I don't have a skimmer on my 29Gal, but am going to get one finally lol.

Your fish seem fairly compatible from what you are talking about. I'd recommend a good 35 lbs of rock also.

I am definitely going to watch your journal.

-Tyler

Quick update
Will be getting skimmer soon
Just put all the rock in the tank will get more water tomorrow
And got to pick the power head up from post office in the morning as the wife popped out and missed the postie.
Ignore the back ground I'm looking to do something better over the week end
photo-49.jpg

Had to put the rock in as I wanted to get some light on it

Once the rock is set up and I'm happy I'll do a big water change and let the magic happen
Then buy 2 marine bulbs t5s should I get blue and white or both white?

BOTH! I have 2X actinic and 2X the white. Mine are set on timers, so LED at night, Actinics first hour in morning and last hour at night, then both actinic and white in daytime. So I would definitely recommend getting both blue and white! The white light also gets the corals to extend fully, when the actinics are on and the white goes off the corals begin to deflate for the evening.

Rock looks great!

-Tyler

Most reactions

Back