Bonding Bunnies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Silencedogood

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey peeps! I was wondering if anyone has any experience bonding bunnies? I have a 9 month old neutered male (Muffin, bigger more light tan) and a 4 month old spayed female (Mocha, with the one ear up). Muffin is (recently) free roam and Mocha is in an x-pen. Sometimes he tries to nip at her through the cage because he is very territorial and other times they'll lay next to each other through the x-pen bars. I'm not sure how to start the bonding process or what level of nipping/chasing/mounting is acceptable.

Thank you!
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-28 at 8.27.06 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-28 at 8.27.06 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-28 at 8.27.05 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-28 at 8.26.25 PM.jpeg

Gorgeous bunnies!! I would recommend a forum called Rabbits United, its full of really knowledgeable users who can help.

It's best to wait until at least 6 weeks post-op before formally introducing them so that all hormones are settled. For now having them side by side isn't a bad idea but when it comes to introductions use a neutral area that neither have used before. Introduce them in a small space and gradually increase it over days/weeks to reduce any territorial issues.

Some circling is normal but be prepared to separate them if it goes any further than that. When I've introduced bunnies before I've put their favourite food in with them to help distract them.

You'll need a block of time of a week or so to constantly watch them when they're first introduced and living together as rabbit fights can get really nasty, I slept on the sofa for a few nights next to mine so that I could keep a close eye.

Good luck and most importantly don't rush anything!

Gorgeous bunnies!! I would recommend a forum called Rabbits United, its full of really knowledgeable users who can help.

It's best to wait until at least 6 weeks post-op before formally introducing them so that all hormones are settled. For now having them side by side isn't a bad idea but when it comes to introductions use a neutral area that neither have used before. Introduce them in a small space and gradually increase it over days/weeks to reduce any territorial issues.

Some circling is normal but be prepared to separate them if it goes any further than that. When I've introduced bunnies before I've put their favourite food in with them to help distract them.

You'll need a block of time of a week or so to constantly watch them when they're first introduced and living together as rabbit fights can get really nasty, I slept on the sofa for a few nights next to mine so that I could keep a close eye.

Good luck and most importantly don't rush anything!
Thank you! I'll definitely look into that forum:)

Good to hear! Sometimes it is super smooth and I think you have age on your side with your two which is great. Fingers crossed for them, nothing more heartwarming than seeing two bonded bunnies together. They look so relaxed.

Good to hear! Sometimes it is super smooth and I think you have age on your side with your two which is great. Fingers crossed for them, nothing more heartwarming than seeing two bonded bunnies together. They look so relaxed.
They are very relaxed in the bathtub! I tried putting them in my living room but I don't think they're completely ready for that yet. I haven't seen them groom each other yet so I think they are still deciding who's boss

They are very relaxed in the bathtub! I tried putting them in my living room but I don't think they're completely ready for that yet. I haven't seen them groom each other yet so I think they are still deciding who's boss
It's usually the female who ends up boss but mine are the other way round I'd say. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back