Bolivian/german Rams In A Community Tank

I dont think an acara could fit a full grown phantom in its mouth, mine lived peacefully with bleeding heart tetras no trouble. Are phantoms small?
 
Phatoms grow to about 4cm, Redfins about 5cm. Yes an Acara would easily eat them. Bleading Hearts grow quite large for Tetras they grow to about 8cm.
 
Ahhh there you go then, I just assumed (wrongly I admit) that they grew about the same size as the BH's.
 
Hey we learn by our mistakes! At least you admit that you didnt fully know.
 
I may end up asking the LFS if they will take the Columbians and Phantoms back as I am more into medium/bigger sized fish now. It's a bit annoying as I had 3 Columbians for ages but something went wrong in tank and I lost 2. The remaining one seemed OK but looked a little lonely so I bought 3 more the other day. Though he died a few days later :unsure: :( I did up my Phantoms to 5 before I moved but don't think they coped well with the move and ended up loosing them.

I know it depends on the LFS, but do most in general swap fish or take them off your hands? I wouldn't be expecting any money for them if they took them off my hands as they're hardly worth anything in monetary value.

I looked at the Texas but don't want anything aggressive so already decided I didn't want one of them :)

If I could rehome my tetras could I have two Acaras and two Bolivians? Would I have any space left after that?
 
Most will take them back, it depends on the LFS and no you wont get anything for them Im afraid.

You could have a texas, just nothing else with it :lol:

Im gonna say yes to the acaras and bolivs, others may say no, all I can say is I had two acaras, two boliv and 3 German blues in a 62g tank with absolutely no problems at all, I had them with a large shoal of Bleeding heart tetras, but thats a bigger tank your yours, so in my experience they worked but its always dependent on the fishes personality and the set up of the tank, you will need plenty of plants (real or fake), I also found mine to love their caves (coconuts in this case) and there was the occasional chase, usually by the bolivians more than the others, but nothing serious and as soon as they lost sight of each other, they forgot all about it, thats why you will need plenty of plants to break up line of sight.

Also mine were all bought from small and growing up together.
 
If i was you i would only have 1 Blue Acara and then a pair of Bolivians, this way you will avoid the Acara getting aggressive over breeding aspects ie there wont be any eggs or fry as there would only be 1 Acara, Acaras can grown to about 8 inch, the Bolivains will max out at 3 inch so they wouldnt stand a chance aginst a pair of determind Acaras, however this is only my view other may differ.
 
Excellent, I'll give my LFS a ring tomorrow and ask if I can take them in. May as well do it as soon as possible as it's not very nice but hopefully they'll find a nice new home :) Also my Gouramis will have a bit more room whilst I'm waiting for my tank to cycle.

OK, so:

2 Opaline Gourami
1 Bulldog Pleco
2-4 Angelfish
1 Blue Acara
6 Corydoras (would Pygmys be OK with the cichlids or would they get eaten? Otherwise will get some other Corys)
2 Bolivians or 2 German Blue/Gold

What about a Kribensis or Cockatoos?

Seems I've got very into the New World Cichlids!

I'm getting a couple of coconut caves and the tank is going to be planted.
 
I would get Bolivians over Germans. I also would just get normal Corrys, i wouldnt get any Kribs neither Cockatoos maybe.
 
Kribs no, Kirbs occupy the bottom levels of the tank, which you would have the Corrys and Pleco. They can become very aggressive. IMO you would have too many bottom dwelling fish, Cockatoos are a maybe i dont know if they would be ok with the Acara.
 
Kribs I would agree are a no no, can be very nasty if they spawn.

I dont know much about cockatoos, but I think with acaras, angels and rams you will be maxed out with cichlids for that tank.
 
Kribs I would agree are a no no, can be very nasty if they spawn.

I dont know much about cockatoos, but I think with acaras, angels and rams you will be maxed out with cichlids for that tank.

Yeh am with ya on the maxed out with the Cichlids, you could have a pair of Cockatoos if you droped the Angels down from 4 to 2! I think that the Acara would be ok with the Cockatoos but if you do get them keep a close eye on them!
 
I may just get two Angels then. Ideally I'd like as much variety and colour as possible.

OK so basically I can have:

2 Opaline Gourami
1 Bulldog Pleco
6 Corydoras
1 Acara
2 Bolivian or German
4 Angels

or

2 Opaline Gourami
1 Bulldog Pleco
6 Corydoras
1 Acara
2 Bolivian or German
2 Angels
2 Cockatoos

Or instead of the cockatoos something like rainbow fish or killifish?

2 Opaline Gourami
1 Bulldog Pleco
6 Corydoras
1 Acara
2 Bolivian or German
2 Angels

... and something else .... Any suggestions?

It's fun planning what to have in a tank but also stressful when there's so much variety to choose from and so many factors to consider!
 
Either the first or second IMO
 

Most reactions

Back
Top