Bolivian/german Rams In A Community Tank

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Oct 1, 2008
Messages
2,133
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Been researching fish to go in my 190L community along with Black Phantoms, Columbian Red Fins, Opaline Gouramis and a Bulldog Pleco. I definitely want to get 2 Angelfish as well as some Pygmy Corydoras.

I'm liking the look of the smaller cichlids. I especially like the German and Bolivian Rams. Would a pair of these be OK with the rest of my fish?

I have silver sand and the tank will be planted. I am aware I will need to form some sort of caves for the Rams if I got them, that would be no problem as I was planning on doing this anyway.
 
they would be ok with your other fish. the biggest problem with rams is not getting a pair in my opinion. i accidently brought home 2 males. 1 is colorful and dominate..the other is always hiding.

also, i honestly dont think they NEED caves...

i have many caves and shelves in my tank and i rarely see them in the caves or under the shelves
 
Rams dont need caves, although it helps to have some. Bolivans are more hardy the the German Blues.
 
i have a pair of blue rams in my community tank and they seem pretty happy.the male occasionally chases the other fish but his bark is worse than his bite. :lol: with either type i would definately get a pair.
 
Yep no problems you could have two of each in there no problems. I would advise though that you get either 1 angel or 3 as they can be bullies and with only two one will be more dominant and stress the other, with 3 or more the aggression is spread out more between them.
 
Yep no problems you could have two of each in there no problems. I would advise though that you get either 1 angel or 3 as they can be bullies and with only two one will be more dominant and stress the other, with 3 or more the aggression is spread out more between them.

I was looking into getting 3 but have read that if two pair up they can set on the lone one and kill him? If I didn't get a breeding pair amongst all three will they live together in harmony or is it always best to get a breeding pair? I could just get one Angel but how to decide on what one would be so hard :shout:

Would I have enough room in my tank for three Angels alongside the rest of the community and the Bolivians? I will try my best to get a pair of Bolivians. Is there anyway to sex them?

Thanks for all help :D
 
You could have 3 angels with one pair of either of the rams, I wouldnt go for 2 pairs with 3 angels in that size tank.

There is a chance if 2 pair up that they will chase the 3rd if they spawn, but you dont necessarily need a pair. You could have two males or two females. I dont know how to sex bolivs even though I used to have two. I do know how to sex german blues though, the female will have an obviously pink tummy.
 
You could always just get 1 ram and it will be fine. But if you can get a male/female, then go for that.
We had a german blue for a little while, it was a very pretty fish, but very timid and hid whenever we came near. We got the bolivian, and it harassed the poor german blue causing it stress that led to dropsy unfortunatly.
The bolivian ram is still going strong now though. It's made its little territory under this fake root decor we have and will chase away the cories whenever its feeling in a grumpy mood, but it's a great fish. Not as colorful as a german blue, but it's more bold and definitely hardier.

Only thing I know about sexing them is that the females dorsal fins aren't as long at the front tip? or something, and that the females get pink bellies when they're ready to spawn? I'm not sure on that though so don't quote me lol.
 
If I got 3 Angels and a pair formed... Will LFS normally take the other one back if you explain what you're doing when you buy them?

Are Blue Acaras a no go?
 
Discuss it with the LFS when you go to buy, usually they will, depends on their policy though, so always check first.

Blue Acaras are lovely fish, I see no reason why you couldnt have one with the angels and other fish you have listed, not with the rams as well though.
 
Why do Acaras not get on with Rams? If I got an Acara must they be kept singularly?

Gonna be a tough choice then :unsure:

I see they can get quite big and can uproot plants?
 
Acaras get up to 8" ish, yes they can be kept with rams, but in a bigger tank would be better.

I had two who got along famously so you can if you want try it, never had mine uproot plants, but then I didnt keep live plants with them, just silk.

Of the choice of the rams or acaras, personally I would go acaras, they are lovely fish.
 
Is that an acara in your avatar?

Would I be able to get two acaras? Or one acara and a bolivian? Or would they not get along?

If I had only one of each type I'd go for males as I'm looking for a colourful, but peaceful, display.

And just to double check, acaras are definitely OK with angels?
 
To my knowledge the acara wouldnt take any notice of the angels, but someone correct me if Im wrong, never kept angels so not sure.

No that is not an acara in my sig, that is a Texas cichlid and hes gorgeous but very aggressive, so you cant have one of those!

You could have one each of acara and bolivian, no problems they should ignore each other.
 
The Acara is a NO NO! An Acara would end up eating the Black Phantoms and Columbian Redfins. As for getting on with the Angels or Bolivans there shouldnt be any problems with them, Acaras are pretty peaceful fish as long as there tankmates carnt fit into their mouths.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top