Bog wood

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Boil it, soak it, boil it, soak it...............................

It depends on whether you can face having a brown tank for a while :)

If you just put the wood in it will leach tannins into the water which, although not harmful, will discolour the water brown.
To get rid of tannins you will need to boil the wood (or if it's a big piece pour boiling water over it repeatedly until its all soaked thoroughly).
The easy way, but longest, is to soak it for a couple of weeks, changing the water every few days till it's clear.

Either way make sure you give it a good wash before putting it in the tank (preferably with boiling water)

HTH

If you bough it from a lps you really dont need to boil it. Just soak it totally underwater for at least 24 hours and then most of the particles that change the color of the water will be gone.

boil and saok is my method even for lfs brought wood
I also microwave for 2mins every month to kill any algea.

ah crap, its been in there 3days now, i couldnt check this topic as forums were down :(, no signs of brown water... should i bother taking it out?

corrosive said:
ah crap, its been in there 3days now, i couldnt check this topic as forums were down :(, no signs of brown water... should i bother taking it out?
If there is no leeching from the wood the I'd leave it in

corrosive said:
danio2004 said:
corrosive said:
If there is no leeching from the wood the I'd leave it in
"Leeching?"
leeching = seeping etc
so in conclusion if the water is not going yellow then leave the wood in
HTH

I soaked mine for about a month then poured boiling water over it for a few more days and it STILL leached tannins. only a bit tho.

Most reactions

Back