BN Plecos bloating

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shnagglpus

Reaction score
Just lost one of my bn plecos I've had for 3months, after hydrogenperoxide treatment for algea noticed the older of the 2 started to look fat, thought nothing of it as behavior seemed normal, continued algea treatments and pleco continued to get fat, today roughly 4 days after treatment, dead pleco, super bloated, stomach seemed full of air. Now I notice the younger isn't eating as much hanging out in a 6in radius and seems to have a little bit of white coming from his anus.
What should I do I'd rather not lose anymore of my fish kids
. :(

Hydrogen Peroxide, is a very strong oxidizer, and although very effective for what is designed to do, it can and will kill fish and or inverts if overdosed. The exact effect on bn pleco's is unknown to me, but bloating and death are certainly possible. If in doubt, Water Change.

Sorry for going off topic just for a second, and most people here wont remember this anyway, but here is a good avatar for you :nod:

m2nRG49.jpg

No worries thanks for the reply, I'll do a water change. Also ty for the avatar

Hi

Can you please describe your tank maintenance schedule?
Water changes
Water temp
Tank size
What food do you give them.
What water conditioner do you use
What other fish are in the tank
How many fish are in the tank.
The more information you can give the better

10gal
15%water change every week
Water conditioner is tetra aquasafe
Temp ranges from 70 to 80 (it's 80 right now incase it's a fish disease or something)
There are 2 CBD gourami
5 neon tetras
1 amano shrimp
And now 1 bn pleco that's not eating
Heavily planted
1lg mopani wood
Archer super go led (8000k)
Gravel and sand substrate
Tank has been running for about 5months

Oh generally the plecos get sinking wafers and cucumbers and blood worms if the gourami and tetra let any hit the bottom

Your tank is way too small for the fish you have.
You need to do more water changes, 15 % once a week is nowhere near enough, I would suggest at least 30% 2 times a week.

I should have my 55 up and running come the new yr, I intend to move the one larger gourami and the pleco if he survives in the meantime I'll increase water changes

Update, did a few water changes and changed pleco diet to all vegetables his bowel movements have resumed back to their normal color and epic size

Good to hear, LOL at epic size, yes they do poop a lot.

Heres a list of stuff you can feed your Plec.

I feed mine
Omega One Veggie Rounds
Hikari Algae Wafers
Kens veggie sticks.
Blood worm
Brine shrimp
New Life Spectrum Thera Plus pellets.

And they need fresh veggies.
This is a list of vegetables and fruit that are popular with most plecs.

Zucchini/Courgette
Cucumber
Peas (deshelled)
Sweet Potato
Green Beans
Melon/Melon rind

Aubergine/Egg plant
Avocado
Broad Beans
Broccoli/Stalk
Butternut Squash+ other squash
Capsicum/Bell pepper(not the hot ones)
Cauliflower/Stalk
Carrot
Coconut
Grapes
Kale/Collard Greens
Kiwi Fruit
Lettuce
Lima Beans
Mango
Mushroom (common plecs and goldspots love mushroom)let it float,they will reach it.
Papaya
Potato
Pumpkin
Spinach
Sprouts
Swede
Tomato
Yam

Wow that's a menu, good to know Lil guy is just about 2in now bit when he hits full size he'll definitely be healthy for sure thank you
Merry Christmas

So wheres the photos?

I've been trying to upload a few but no matter what I do fro. My phone the file size keeps being too large =/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back