Blue Whale

purplegrl

Reaction score
Went to a local fish store and purchased this beautiful blue whale. The car said that he would get a long well with my other fish which are, parrot fish, tinfoil barb, albino flat nose cat, upside down cat, and clown knife.All have been getting on fine.I'm just wondering what the specifics are on the blue whale.in case you're wondering, my tank is between 100 and 150 gallons,i feed them shrimp pellets our small to medium feeders. Any suggestions on fillers for tank like plant s or would it be better to keep the gravel i have or change to sand. My clown knife like to hide, but i rather see him, what kinds of open hiding places do you guys suggest? I have pics will Post as soo as i figure out how to.

right first the blue whale is the largest animal on the planet, so it will outgrow a 100G tank very fast, also blue whales need to rome, they naturally travel the ocean. shrimp pellets are a good food as these are often made up of dead krill, which is the natural food for the whale

upload pics to photo bucket and then past the IMG code

if my profile pic loaded you will be able to see a some what foggy pic. of this fish. I have no doubt that is not a true blue whale of i would not have purchased it. How there is relative no info on this fish online. I will post a better pic momemtarily. thanks

that looks like a shark of some type to me. but others may be able to help

tried the photobucket. here is the best description i can give. he's a navy blue, middle is a silvery blue, with a long top fin, five fins on the bottom, two at the front, just behind the gills,  two more behoind that they hang down with a long fin extending from the middle to the end of the bottom. his rear fin is long split in two and looks like most fish tails. his eyes sit on either side of the face and he has some small whiskers. Which would make me think he may be some sort of cat. i'm just not sure.

how do i find out for sure. i trying to post pics but it's not working.  this site won't except pics for photo bucket any other suggestions

it does look like the fish from the site you posted except the color is seriously navy blue. If this is the fish that I have what to i do

G'Day and welcome
welcomeani.gif

Since this thread is more about identifying a possible catfish I will move it to the catfish section of the forum for you
yes.gif

The catfish you have in your is not a blue whale catfish. Your catfish is most likely a Paroon shark catfish. Blue whale catfish (Cetopsis coecutiens), look like this:

cetopsis_coecutiens_2.jpg

cetopsis_coecutiens_1.jpg

The mouth and teeth of a Cetopsis coecutiens, which should be called a shark instead of a whale.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=10707

The information you were given was also wrong as it doesn't apply to the blue whale catfish. What the individual told you most likely applies to the "shark" type catfish, in your case a Paroon shark.
Blue whale catfish should be kept in a species tank only, as these catfish will tear chunks out of other fish. In my opinion the name, "blue whale" doesn't even come close to representing Cetopsis coecutiens, which should be called "great white" catfish.

This look s nothing like the fish i have unless this is what it looks like young.

purplegrl said:
This look s nothing like the fish i have unless this is what it looks like young.
DUDE...I'M TRYING TO TELL YOU THAT YOU DON'T HAVE A BLUE WHALE CATFISH!!! Your catfish is most likely a Paroon shark that was mislabeled. I currently have 5 REAL Cetopsis coecutiens aka "blue whale catfish".
The reason your not finding relevant info online about blue whale catfish, is because your looking for info on the wrong fish. So once again, your catfish is not a real blue whale catfish.

looks like a Paroon to me, think you are going to need a considerably bigger tank!!!  Take it  back whilst you still can, and DO NOT  swap it for a blue whale catfish if you intend to keep it in your community tank. 

Try and find someone in the store that is knowledgeable and take it from there. 

Paradise<3 said:
Pangasius catfish. Can tell straight away.
Agreed!

Even my sixteen year old can now recognise pangasius and gibbiceps on my screen from the other side of the room!

Most reactions

Back