Blue spot sunfish ( Enneacanthus gloriosus )

Magnum Man30 144

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,612
Reaction score
6,865
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
anyone ever kept these??? I found some, when the black banded sunfish were seemingly out of stock everywhere…

1786660909385.webp


 
I would setup a tank for those in a minute. They are beautiful fish. We have kept pumpkinseeds many years ago and they were aggressive and had to be in a single species very large tank, but from the description of these guys you can get some of the sunfish color without the unsettling activity some of the fish from this group show. Also you likely can keep them in a cool water tank and not worry about heaters. If they are available here I just might give them a go. Thanks for introducing them.
 
I like the look of that fish. I tried to get some years ago but it was tough. It's listed as stable in nature, as far as population numbers and range goes. But it is absolutely rare.

That's the kind of fish I consider a test. If you want it, you give it resources. It doesn't go in a community tank. It needs space, and it needs to be a project as it is rare and it isn't tropical. You have to (I'm being bossy, but mistreating fish like this gets hobbies banned) give it a tank designed for its very specific needs, with temperature especially. Then you have to write about how it goes so those of us who will never get the fish can learn from you!

Those little North American sunfish are fantastic. They can be aggressive beyond Cichlids, with guarding their nests.
 
Very , very cool fish ! What a little beauty too . I think Gary’s right about how to keep them . I’d set them up with their own aquarium, as big a one as you can do . Even a stock tank could work well .
 
so these fish are widely available… outside of the aquarium hobby, I found them in stock from multiple sellers… unfortunately the black banded sunfish, are all still out of stock from these vendors as well… so I’ll likely be starting my native tank with the blue spots…
 
I haven’t ordered yet, the tank is not cycling yet, but Jonah’s was one of 3-4 suppliers that has them right now…
 
Cool ! I’d buy from that guy if for no other reason than he wants his shipping box back . That’s how guys in the AKA did it for ages until they didn’t .
 
Just happened to notice a woodcarving from 1994 of a sunfish. It’s a LongEared Sunfish (Lepomis megalotis). The rest of my fish carvings sold off or were given away. I really miss my crappie carvings which I think were the best as well as being my favorite both to carve and to keep in 55g native fish tanks years ago in my biology classroom and even in our second apartment in 1984.
IMG_1676.webp
 

Most reactions

Back
Top