Blue Green Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stevensdrs

Reaction score
:D Having recently returned to the hobby after some years in the wilderness I was dismayed to find my new set up (tropiquarium 88) rapidly being invaded by what I know now to be Blue Green Algae (Cyanobacteria). I had no idea how to treat this and even less idea that it isnt an algae but in fact a bacteria.
Some research on this forum and the wider web pointed me in the direction of using erythromycin (an antibiotic) to kill off the bacteria. However I found this a little hard to find in the UK.
Searching on e-bay I discovered that you can obtain MARACYN, a broad spectrum antibiotic (erythromyacin) which is primarily effective against gram positive pathogenic organisms. It seems not to have much adverse effect on the good filter bacteria as these are gram negative. I did however remove my active charcoal filter although the instructions with the tablets only asks you to do this if the charcoal filter is new.
Three days into the five day course of treatment and the "algae" has gone.
Clean tank healthy fish and everything as it should be.
So if any of you are having similar problems you can obtain the Maracyn (not maracyn 2) from shophereandsave in the USA for $11 including postage. It takes about 10 days for it to arrive but it seems to work well.

Thanks-please keep us updated on if the algae returns. I don't want to put anything like that in my tank if I'm going to end up having to do it again in a few months.

I have recently used Maracyn to rid one of my tanks of cyanobacteria. It's been just over a week now since the 5 day course finished. There is no sign of cyano anywhere, my plants are growing like weeds after months of stunted growth.

During the treatment I checked water parameters daily and found that ammonia and nitrite levels stayed at 0 mg/l ( I made sure I got rid of as much of the cyano as possible before commencement ). My fish were all fine!!!!

:D Thats great to hear, on the 4th day now and everything is as it should be. I am confident the outcome will be the same as you have experienced.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back