Blue Dwarf Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Carolinesugar

Fishaholic
Reaction score
:wub: hi all, well im abit worried abt my female blue dwarf gourami, she seems 2 have got a smal lump/spot of red appear on her side. ive foned the local aquatic centres, and the 1 i trust most sed that melafix will sort it out, and mayb try tea tree oil.

i will aim to post a pic of her later 2day or 2mora, but i wana no wot it cud be.

the shop sed that its where their interbred, but ive been warned not to trust wot they say, is he rite ? or is it just another fish has picked on her ?

Please help if u can, im gona get sum melafix 2day, and use that, but i wana no wot it is aswell as how 2 treat it, incase the male gets it.

yeh ive cycled my tank.

i have treated the tank with melafix at the moment, and have done a check of all other fish, watched closely, and noticed that the male is the 1 who is picking on her a lil bit, so im hopin he will back off, but if he dnt i will put him in a breeding net 4 a few hours, let him cool off, n then they will make an arrangement, as this is wot i had 2 do with my paradise fish.

hi all, thought i wud update u all with the situation abt my poor female blue dwarf gourami - she sadly died yesturday while i was out. but i think that she went quickly, as i was only out 4 an hour, and she was fine wen i left.

:rip:

i hope all other users who have pink spots on their gouramis are treating them with melafix and making sure that they keep a close eye on them.

thanx every1 who tried to help with suggestions and support

Sorry Caroline, I never saw this thread when you posted it. I'm sorry about your gourami too. I've heard of this happening several times with the dwarf blues, I'm not sure why it happens. I'm assuming it's a bacterial infection.

I experienced it with two of my blues also, the water was kept impecable and they developed red sores on their heads, I assumed it was from fighting because they would pick at each other's wounds. It turned into hole in the head, when the gouramis would breathe from the surface the air would bubble right out of the holes, horrid. I tried everything and had absolutely no luck clearing it up. The best bet would be (now tht it's too late for both of us) to treat with an anti-bacterial med as soon as it shows up.

wuvmybetta said:
Sorry Caroline, I never saw this thread when you posted it. I'm sorry about your gourami too. I've heard of this happening several times with the dwarf blues, I'm not sure why it happens. I'm assuming it's a bacterial infection.

I experienced it with two of my blues also, the water was kept impecable and they developed red sores on their heads, I assumed it was from fighting because they would pick at each other's wounds. It turned into hole in the head, when the gouramis would breathe from the surface the air would bubble right out of the holes, horrid. I tried everything and had absolutely no luck clearing it up. The best bet would be (now tht it's too late for both of us) to treat with an anti-bacterial med as soon as it shows up.
hiya, thanx 4 ur support.

i tried the tank with melafix 4 7 days then did the water change on the 9th day, keeping her on her own in a breeding net. then i set up my orginal tank, and treated that with anti internal bacteria, and that still didnt kick it!

it was only yesturday wen i went out (during the hour she died) that i went 2 a new (new 2 me) fish shop and asked them wot they do with the spots wen they get them, n the guy sed he keeps treating the tank with melafix 4 up2 6 months if need be!

so i had planned to start treatin the tank as soon as i got home. only wen i got home i found her dead!

i was heart broken, as i have a big thng 4 blue dwrfs, their my fav gouramis (althoguh i love all of them). i sat n cried 4 ages wen i 1st lost bubbles, cus he was soooo cute, he was a fairly big dwarf gourami, and lived in my bfs tank. he wud cum to the front of the tank weneva he saw me move infront of it, swim p 4 air, cum 2 the front and blow me bubbles n side sideways. i loved him sooo much. but now i try not to cry ova them, but i stil find it hard. cus i just love all of my animals to bits.

:-(

Melafix is good stuff, it heals lots of things. I personally don't use it anymore though. There's a rumour going around that it is harmful to the delicate labyrinth organ of gourami's and bettas. Supposedly the strong smell hovers over the water surface making it difficult for the fish to get a gulp of fresh air...it would almost be like constantly sniffing at mentholatum. That stong, overpowering odor that can take your breath away.

Don't give up on the blues, try some more :nod: Just keep your eyes peeled for those pesky red pimply looking spots and treat asap.

wuvmybetta said:

Melafix is good stuff, it heals lots of things. I personally don't use it anymore though. There's a rumour going around that it is harmful to the delicate labyrinth organ of gourami's and bettas. Supposedly the strong smell hovers over the water surface making it difficult for the fish to get a gulp of fresh air...it would almost be like constantly sniffing at mentholatum. That stong, overpowering odor that can take your breath away.

Don't give up on the blues, try some more :nod: Just keep your eyes peeled for those pesky red pimply looking spots and treat asap.
yeh, i wud neva give up on them, i sed i wud wen bubbles died. but then changed my mind the minute i saw a nice 1 in the pet store that came to the front of the tank.

i love my wishies.

i even went as far as gettin the male i got after bubbles died a female, so that he cud have a gf! cus i neva knew they sud be kept in pairs until i went to a bigger store that mainly had gouramis.

im hoping that the male blue dwarf i have now will be ok in the 24" long tank with the male? kissing gourami. they are all moving into a new home wen ive had the chance to shuffle the tanks around, but im abit worried, as i was told neva to keep 2 male gouramis in the same tank. their new home is either 30" or 36" i cnt remember which.

i also have a fire flame gourami in my bfs dads tank, as thats based in their kitchen, n i love watching him n knowing he is all mine! hes also lasted along time, as he is one of the orginal fish me n my bf got wen we reset up his tank wen we got together!!!

wuvmybetta said:

Sorry about the gourami , That melafix smells like "vicks" vapo rub .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back