Blue Cherry Shrimp + Red

Esfa

Shrimpy Shrimp
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,585
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Andover
So I've got some red cherry shrimp, and today i saw some blue cherry shrimps for sale, so i got five.

What would happen if i were to breed these?

I know that the blue shrimp do not breed true, but go back to their natural brown colour. Would I have mixes of browns and reds, or just brown? Just red? :shifty:

Or will I get purple with pink spots? :lol:
 
I have never seen blue cherry shrimp before! Can you post some pic's?
 
From what i've read most hybrid shrimp end up brownish.

I would like to see some pics of the blue cherrys too :good:
 
yup :good:

they're all in hiding, so i only got this crappy pic lol

005-1.jpg


blue.jpg


they look exactly like that. :good:
 
From what I've read, the blues are only a colour morph of the reds ( which themselves are a colour morph the original breed ). Their colour is also a recessive gene, so unless they are bred with other blues, the resulting offspring will be a dull red ( almost brownish, as shrimper said ).
 
From what I've read, the blues are only a colour morph of the reds ( which themselves are a colour morph the original breed ). Their colour is also a recessive gene, so unless they are bred with other blues, the resulting offspring will be a dull red ( almost brownish, as shrimper said ).

hmm... what to do :sly:

I might breed reds in my 35gall
blues in my 10gal
and then have browns in my 20gal :lol:

yay for shrimp
 
I can almost assure you...Inbreeding between the two colours won't turn out well. Instead of having a nice brightly coloured shrimp, you'll have a bland, dull one instead. That is granted that they will even breed together.


It's worth a try though, just to see if the hypothesis is right or not. ;)
 
The shrimp may also have a parasite that changes the color of the shrimp. Basically it makes them stand out so They'll be eaten.

If it is truly the natural color of the shrimp and not brought on by parasites or food, then good find. It may not breed true, however.

:thumbs:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top