Blowing Bubbles? (Not Bubble Nesting)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My female honey gourami has been blowing bubbles at the surface quite a bit lately.  Is this normal behavior?  There is nothing wrong with her appearance, she has no unusual behaviors otherwise, no poop problems, no clamping, not gasping, eating like the normal obsessive pig she is, water stats are normal... all other fish are normal (5 norman's lampeyes, 1 one honey gourami, some shrimp and snails).

Do you mean a bubblenest? :blink: Wouldn't think that'd be an indication of anything wrong?

Ninjouzata said:
Do you mean a bubblenest? :blink: Wouldn't think that'd be an indication of anything wrong?
Because with anabantoid fishes, the males should be doing the bubble nest and not the female lol

Maybe she wants to breed then. Try introducing a male

Well of course :lol: but just wouldn't see it as a sign anything is wrong. Seems a lovely surprise :)

She isn't making bubbles that stay, they pop right away... and being female... that seems odd to me.  Also, I do have a male in with her, they do breed frequently and the last time they attempted it was early last week.

Oh i know what she's doing. Think i've seen this with my moonlight gouramis and paradise fish before. I think this is just normal anabantoid behavior and has nothing to do with breeding. This is like one of their favorite past times when they're 'bored'

I just realized your title said not bubblenesting..my bad, sorry
sad.png
Glad to know this is likely normal behavior though.

My Gourami does this as well.
I'm pretty sure he is doing this only for fun.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back