Half-beak is a tattletale

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ExotixMom

Reaction score
Is it normal for my Halfbeak to ALWAYS point out anything unusual in my tank? Is this a breed trait in females? My male(Gonzo) is chill, but my female(Unicorn-daughter named her) makes a point to catch my attention…then points to the “oddity” in the tank. Her favorite oddity is ramshorn snails when one happens to appear. Tonight, she won’t stop pointing at my female guppy, who has just started early labor signs. Is this normal, weird or is she just a super smarty? Anyone else seen this behavior?
IMG_1247.jpeg

Would just be possible she is waiting for your guppy to give birth to gobble up the fry? And maybe with the snails just curious. Cool looking fish BTW.

You would think with the guppy that she's awaiting a fresh meal of fry, however, she did this last time and "herded" the males/ other tank mates away from the fry, allowing me to capture them and move them to the nursery tank. However, I counted 10 babies born, and I have 10 2-week old fry atm, so she's been more of a good auntie than a snatch n' grab midwife. I have a 50 gal nano tank (7 Embers, 7 Neons, 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 7 Guppies, 2 Halfbeaks, 6 Panda Corys, 2 Dwarf Corys) and a well-behaved Golden Zebra Loach. The halfbeak doesn't eat the snails, but rather acts like she's annoyed that they've dared to come up the glass and she's pointing them out, like, "Mom, there's one of these gross things again...remove it, it's in my space!" I pluck them out and drop them in my crawfish tank, where they are the equivalent to a Dorito for my big blue Crawdad.
The Halfbeaks stay at the top permanently and really are a fascinating part of the tank. Very cool to watch because the beak is their chin, and their upper jaw is hinged....like if you had to bobble the top half of your head to chew while holding your chin still.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back