Blooming Power Cut

Forestpisces

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
West yorkshire
An hour ago just as i was mid water change and preparing to go out AND buy my new tank AND apply for a new job the great british weather decided to turn all monsoon season on me and just when i thought it couldn't get any worse

Power cut

One of any tropical fish keepers worst nightmares. So i had to sit it out keeping an eye on my tanks and now i have realised that i need a new thermometer for my 35litre as the one in there is cracked and giving very high temperature readings which arnt accurate at all.

Thankfully everyone made it through and it was only for a short period of time but has anyone ever had any bad experiences with power cuts? If so how did you get through it?

Oh and i don't know what the weather thinks it's playing at :grr:
 
We get them on a regular basis where I live, and usually they dont last very long. One winter evening we were just getting ready to go to bed it was midnight - then bang! - power cut. I got out my emergency battery air pump, put the gas fire on to keep the room warm, lit some candles and waited.....and waited......

3 hours later the power was still off so I rang the electricity board who told me it would be at least another 8 hours before it was back on! So I dismantled my external filter putting the sponge and ceramic medias in the tank on top of the air hose so the air was bubbling through thinking at least some bacteria should survive........ and 10 minutes after I finish the power came back on!! :crazy:
 
hmmmm...me thinks to invest in a battery air pump, any recommendations?

My worst fear would be there is a power cut at night and wouldnt find out till the morning!!
 
I doubt it would be that helpful/cost efficient but if you had the money and it was a regular problem you could invest in a Uninteruptable Power Supply unit that are used with computer servers. They are usually used to give you enough time to shut them down properly to provent data lost/corruption but I guess they could be used to run an aquarium from battery for a certain amount of time.

Prices vary depending on efficienty, and they can get quite pricey!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top