Bloated Cory, help needed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jkomuda

Reaction score
Hey, I am new to fish keeping.

One of my Corydoras got bloated lately.
I thought it was about to lay eggs, then I read about different health conditions incl. constipation, bloat, and dropsy which may be the case here.
Also noticed that Cory's color got lighter as well (FYI two other Corydoras and the rest of the aquarium are just fine).

Let me attach photos, how does it look to you?
I moved the sick Cory from a community aquarium to a hospital tank.
Currently treating with Magna Epsom Salt, that should help somehow, yet hard to say for now.
Can you advise/help regarding its potential conditions and treatment?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20220803_043000445.jpg
    PXL_20220803_043000445.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20220803_043131068.jpg
    PXL_20220803_043131068.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20220803_040031797.jpg
    PXL_20220803_040031797.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 78
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Is the swollen part the silvery round bit just below the neck?
How long did it take to swell up?
Is the fish eating normally?
What does its poop look like?
How long have you had the fish for?

I agree it's not looking just gravid, but I haven't had this issue before, don't feed it for a couple of days and see if swelling goes down, it may have a blockage/ constipation that will pass. If it is the only one from shoal I would be surprised if worms have got that bad without infecting the others, but has it been acting strange, or rubbing it's sides against the substrate/floor? This could be a sign of some sort of parasite.
Does it spend most of the time at the bottom of tank?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Is the swollen part the silvery round bit just below the neck?
How long did it take to swell up?
Is the fish eating normally?
What does its poop look like?
How long have you had the fish for?
Hi Colin, thanks!

1. Indeed, the swollen part (central spot) looked a bit silvery oval shape (especially at the beginning), but bloating in much larger itself.
2. It's been about 10 days now (bloat), as you can imagine it was much smaller 1 week ago when I noticed. The fish stays in a hospital tank for the last 3 days.
3. We have these Corys approx. 3-4 months, purchased 3 of them (the other two are fine).
4. All my Corys are not excited when food is being served, can't determine changes in eating patterns. Poop seems normal, although I let it fast for 2 days as this might help (as read on the forums).

Last edited:
I agree it's not looking just gravid, but I haven't had this issue before, don't feed it for a couple of days and see if swelling goes down, it may have a blockage/ constipation that will pass. If it is the only one from shoal I would be surprised if worms have got that bad without infecting the others, but has it been acting strange, or rubbing it's sides against the substrate/floor? This could be a sign of some sort of parasite.
Does it spend most of the time at the bottom of tank?
Overall, Corys remain at the bottom of a tank exploring substrate.
Haven't noticed any rubbing activity though.

This particular one moves less now, sitting on the hospital tank floor most of the day, yet at times keeps moving frantically (eg. if someone passes by the tank or enters a room but also out of the blue at times).
I believe I could notice this behavior earlier (yet unable to confirm if it's the same fish).

Aware bloat in Corydoras may be caused by stress as well.
Yet as mentioned the rest of Corys as well as other fish are just okay.

Thanks for no feeding advice, I indeed keep it fasting for the last 2 days, not much difference that I can notice as of now...

Last edited:
I'm not certain it will help but seeing as you've had no other ideas yet it's better than nothing, may be worth slowly increasing temp to 30° for a few days to wipe out any germs.
It may help if it's constipation too, but I am not an expert, it just worked for a mild case of ich/ bloating in my mum's dainty Cory, it wasn't that swollen though. From his first bulletpoint, I'm sure Colin will have a better idea of what's up!

, but I am not an expert, it just worked for a mild case of ic
I might try this one. Appreciate all thoughts/recommendations that may help. You both have much greater experience in the domain for certain. Thank you!

I'm not certain it will help but seeing as you've had no other ideas yet it's better than nothing, may be worth slowly increasing temp to 30° for a few days to wipe out any germs.
It may help if it's constipation too, but I am not an expert, it just worked for a mild case of ich/ bloating in my mum's dainty Cory, it wasn't that swollen though. From his first bulletpoint, I'm sure Colin will have a better idea of what's up!
30c won't wipe out germs. It can only wipe out Ich and some ones alike which this isn't.

Worms could be though the general look isn't bad besides color and it doesn't.look overfed (what are you feeding). There is no pressure building up in the body. The eyes would bulge in that case.

I expect it to be a tumour cause the fish isn't really sick.

Either a cyst or tumour, probably a cyst due to the rapid growth rate (10 days). There's no cure for either. Just keep the fish comfortable until it can't swim properly or stops eating. Then euthanise it.

The reason the fish panics a bit when people go past the tank is due to stress from being on its own and being in a bare tank. Put it back with the others and monitor it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back