Blimey Phosphates at 10ppm!!

julibob

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok, I have had a problem with hair algae in my 29 Gallon for ages. I put in 2 giant GreenX phosphate remover teabags about 1 month ago. No change, so yesterday saw the tanks' second dose of Interpret Anti Hair Algae traeatment. Today I thought I would do a water test.

Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5

Phosphates are at 10ppm

What do I do?? Will this affect the fish? Why are they so high with the GreenX teabags and the Anti Hair Algae treatment?

I am very frustrated now because I dont know how to deal with it.

Julia

wow thats high :) hmm a large water change around 50 percent and remve the phosphate bags, i suggest to try looking into the cause of the algae and balancing it out rather then using algae removers :)

Seeing that this thread is duplicated in the emergency section, I'll just add in here what I said there :)

You will get far more response in the planted section, but I had a similar thread not too long ago. You might want to PM a mod and ask to move it across.
This was my thread.

I would say to stay away from those anti-hair algae treatments though. They will really only work for as long as you use them and it's just not a good idea at all you need to work out what the root of the problem is and deal with that to eliminate your problem.

I'm still struggling myself, but you might want to check out some of the "EI dosing threads" in the planted section.

I am going to ask a really dumb question now. Can someone explain the Co2 and how it relates to phosphates. I only have a spray bar set horizontally above the water level to aerate my tank. I would like to discover why the phosphates are so high! I might go and see The-Wolf at work later, and let him fully test all the levels.

Julia

Have you tested your tap water? A large water change may not help.

RowaPhos is the best phosphate removal media IME. They even do a new sponge to fit inside internal filers now.

I would buy the 250ml pack and place it inside your Eheim external. It comes with a filter sock. I used to have 5ppm PO4 in my 34G - the 250ml pack lasted 6 months with PO4 undetectable. One could assume that the same pack would last about 4 months in your tank.

Your hair algae may also be caused by other factors most of which are attributed to lack of plant growth. All algae hates growing plants. What's your lighting regime, planting density etc?

I have the lights on from 8am till about 2pm and then from 6pm till about 9pm when the moonlight led's go on till bedtime.

Because it is a Malawi tank I just have a couple of Anubias, 3 large amazon swords which are toatally covered in hair algae and one vallis.

The plants are growing very quickly, so they are obviously not being stunted by the algae.

I am just about to test the tap water.

Julia

Ok, tap water is 0 ppm.

I have an electronic water conditioner on my cold water inlet. Sometimes this causes my tanks more problems than I can deal with. Our water quality is so rubbish with really high chlorine levels that I have to have it on there for the family!

Julia

It is odd that your tap is zero PO4 and your tank is 10ppm PO4.

If not due to high tapwater PO4 levels, high tank water PO4 can be caused by overfeeding and a general lack of maintenance. What is your water changing schedule and do you regularly vacuum your substrate? I understand Malawis are messy (and overstocked to reduce aggression) so large water changes i.e. 50% weekly are recommended.

What really confuses me is your relatively low nitrates (NO3). If the high PO4 is a consequence of lack of maintenance then you would be reading high NO3 also. One possiblilty is your NO3 kit (or PO4 kit) is inaccurate - quite common. Are they in date?

See how Wolf's testing goes. If you still read high PO4 then I would just up your water changes to reduce PO4.

Because you have relatively low light plants and you are not planted heavily you may get away with just 4 to 6 hours of light a day so I would limit your lighting to when you are viewing the tank. This should reduce your algae. What tubes are you using? If they have a high blue content then this will increase algae growth.

CO2 and PO4 are not linked directly. Injecting CO2 will increase plant growth thus possibly reducing PO4 levels (phophate is a valuable nutrient) but this is not relevant to your setup.

Another point is your electronic water conditioner - if it is only electronic then I cannot see how that affects water chemistry? If it contains conditioning matrerials then these may be responsible for your high PO4.

You don't use any pH buffers do you? These contain very high PO4 levels.

Hope this helps.

I do weekly 30% water changes. I underfeed if anything due to stocking levels, I add Sera Ammovec and Sera Nitrivec Weekly with water changes. When doing water changes I use a gravel syphon to agitate the detrius from the substrate.

The water conditioner is electronic and sends an electric pulse through the water as it passes through the pipes and breaks up limescale, kills aglae and reduces chlorine.

Been to see The-Wolf and water is fine except for the phosphates which first went off the scale, so he diluted the water as per his test instructions and the proper reading is 4ppm. Much less than I thought. All other peramaters are fine. :kana:

He recommended a 50% water change and Sera Phosvec to bind and remove the phosphates from the water.

This I shall do this evening, but I will also remove all plants and rocks, dispose of the more tender plants and replace them. Scrub the rocks and then replace it all. Then I will add the Phosvec.

I really hope this makes a difference because I am fed up with looking at an ugly tank!! :sick:

Julia

Thanks for your help, although I would still be grateful of any more tips and advice.

I will let you know how I get on tonight. :D

Julia

Most reactions

Back