Blackwater, betta...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I was away for about a week without enough wifi to post a thread but now I am back! I have good news, my parents agreed to get an aquarium in the dining room! It will be in a few months... I will now be able to get a betta aquarium and a boraras+shrimp aquarium! I would like to have 2 blackwater aquariums but I feel like my friends and family would not understand this concept and just find it ugly and dirty :( I will definitly make a blackwater aquarium for my betta but for my 55 gallon I would like to but I don't think I will. What can I collect in the forest for a blackwater tank? Do I have to wait for fall for branches and other stuff? I know cones are starting to fall from the trees but I am not sure if there are any that are aquarium safe in Canada/Quebec. I would like to see other people blackwater aquarium also for some inspiration!

Look up using rooibos tea, not sure how widely available it is outside of the UK?

Also.. I know its your parent's house but does it matter what your friends/family think of the tank? Educate them, biotopes are the coolest!!

Look up using rooibos tea, not sure how widely available it is outside of the UK?

Also.. I know its your parent's house but does it matter what your friends/family think of the tank? Educate them, biotopes are the coolest!!
I actually have roobios tea, I use it sometimes in my 10 gallon!

I know I should care less about other people opinions, biotopes are really awesome! It would not be a true biotope in my 55 gallon since I have corydoras but all the fish from that tank come from blackwater environment.

Last edited:
Oak and beech are safe :)
Gotta pick dried fallen leaves though. Same with sticks and branches--gotta be really dry.

If in Canada, I suggest buying some Indian almond leaves and alder cones from Angel Fins ( link: www.angelfins.ca).
Ok thank you :)
I was hoping there was an alternative to alder cones actually, something I could find for free in the forest near me.

Now I am not even sure, do aeneus cory naturally occur from blackwater?

Given that "aeneus" is a rather broad term for this species thats been farmed from questionable origins, there is not much data to say for sure what the natural habitat is for them...

That said, they do look fantastic with blackwater
20200522_211442.jpg

100% recommend this cory species.

Or, a true blackwater corydoras species, if you can locate a seller, corydoras leucomelas

20200522_212615.jpg

Another is corydoras adolfoi (no photos, I dont keep that species unfortunately)

Given that "aeneus" is a rather broad term for this species thats been farmed from questionable origins, there is not much data to say for sure what the natural habitat is for them...

That said, they do look fantastic with blackwater
View attachment 111322

100% recommend this cory species.

Or, a true blackwater corydoras species, if you can locate a seller, corydoras leucomelas

View attachment 111323

Another is corydoras adolfoi (no photos, I dont keep that species unfortunately)
I already have aeneus corys and I don't think I will get more. Beautiful corys you have there!

I just went on tannin aquatic website, I think I will save some money for pods!
I've gotta wonder if that stuff can be shipped into Canada, if its an American site (i think it is) so they may not allow plant items shipped over the border

Not related to the subject but could a bristlenose pleco and a red lizard whiptail live in the same tank? @Byron you can probably awnser that :)
(for my 55 gallon 4ft long tank)

Most reactions

Back