Black spots on my glofish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cassy

Reaction score
20230401_113638.jpg

Hi! This is my new glofish, brought him home about 2 weeks ago. I'm concerned about the 2 black spots on his back. He's eating and otherwise behaving normal. I'm not sure if I need to treat him for parasites? Or infection?

Thanks for you help!

From the light searching I've done it could be Black spot disease. I'm not an expert, just what I found on a quick search. This posting seems to have a treatment method for it, however they say there really isn't a cure for the disease. https://aquifarm.com/black-spots-on-tetra-fish/
Thanks for the info. Not quite sure this fits because the spots on my fish aren't raised. I should probably quarantine him from the rest of my fish, just in case...

Either a parasitic worm, or chemical burns (ammonia, chlorine/ chloramine, medications), or natural colouration coming through.

You can't treat the worms and they don't do anything anyway, the fish just has some black spots if that's the case.

If it's chemical burns, it clears up by itself in a month or so assuming conditions are good. Chemical burns normally create bigger patches of black, not just 2 small scale size marks.

The fish is sold as a Glofish but its ancestors are black and silver in colour and this could be natural colouration coming through. If it is colouration, there is nothing to worry about and nothing you can do about it.

--------------------

The fish does not need to be quarantined and isolating it will stress it out because these fish need to be kept in groups of at least 10, and preferably more.

Most reactions

trending

Back