Black Mystery Snail Q

Cantbesaved

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 19, 2008
Messages
146
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Me again!!! I haven't been on in ages! Been so busy at work and trade school and everything else, just not much time to do anything really :(

But I am gettin some more time now as Christmas is comin up! :P

I wanted to ask a question. I got a Black Mystery Snail yesterday when I bought my mom's Christmas present (10 Gallon tank :) ), and was researching how it does it's stuff. I read that they need to come to the surface and breathe through a siphon, that fills up their lung that lasts them a while... I just wanted to know... Anyone know how often they come up for air? I couldn't find out this info ANYWHERE... Been searching for 45 min. :( Just curious is all.

He has cleaned a lot of my driftwood already... It was caked in algae. It must be paradise in there for him!! :P

Thanks!
 
I've seen some come up more often than others.... Does not seem too often, but when I walk into the garage in the mornings, my first task is to pick up those who actually got out of the tanks during the night.... Sometimes up to 25 to 40 of 'em... & unfortunately those with damaged shells, do not survive (being about 6ft from ground level when the fall out, but I've put bubble plastic on the floor in front of every tank which helps a little.... Others just aim so well....
 
They come to the surace when they want to. If they are there a lot it means your water quality is not up to par. The breathing tube allows them to use atmospheric air but they also have a gill structure so they don't need to come to the surface. Be aware that they are also quite capable of crawling right out of the water. Some bridgesii are regular escape artists.
 
They come to the surace when they want to. If they are there a lot it means your water quality is not up to par. The breathing tube allows them to use atmospheric air but they also have a gill structure so they don't need to come to the surface. Be aware that they are also quite capable of crawling right out of the water. Some bridgesii are regular escape artists.

LOL OK thanks!! my lid is on well, and no holes big enough for him to slip through are present. :) I have not seen him go to the top for air yet, though he was just sitting towards the top a bit, but I did not see a breathing tube. He also seems to motor around a lot. One minute I can see him, next minute he is on the other side of the tank!! lol
 

Most reactions

Back
Top