Black mass?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Zoe Horsfield

Reaction score
Hi does anyone know what this black mass on my fish is? Is it a collection of poop? I donā€™t know whether itā€™s a girl or a boy, could it be eggs :look: i usually feed fish flakes with every now again blood worms or brine shrimp and some peas (as I was told this would help give a balanced diet) ????Maybe itā€™s just reflection off the scales but Iā€™ve never noticed it before itā€™s definitely new
FA9D14FE-AA65-4312-829E-887395E904E0.jpeg

we need
Tank size
How old is the fish
Tank stocking
Water parameters

Just this fish, 25l (small for the fish but I am getting a bigger tank when we move house) water parameters I can do in the morning and I have no idea how old the fish is itā€™s a ā€œfun fair fishā€ my daughter won him as a ā€œprizeā€ at the local fun fair :X also I do a 100% water change weekly

Just this fish, 25l (small for the fish but I am getting a bigger tank when we move house) water parameters I can do in the morning and I have no idea how old the fish is itā€™s a ā€œfun fair fishā€ my daughter won him as a ā€œprizeā€ at the local fun fair :X also I do a 100% water change weekly
100% is too much for any fish, try do daily 75% water change.

It looks like colouration on the scales. Monitor it and if it changes then post more pictures. Otherwise don't worry about it.

If there is no established filter on the tank, feed the fish 2-3 times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding. If you want to feed the fish every day, do a 75% water change every day.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Also I do have an established filter this tank has been going for around 6 months now Iā€™d say it seems not to be as black today thanks everyone

This is my set up for now, I have that bubbling filter in the back to try oxygenate the water better as the other filter keeps slipping down and I read that it needs to be disturbing the water surface to oxygenate the water :blink:
D7D14194-B4A1-47ED-B63E-05F4D39A3F3F.jpeg

0 GH and 0 KH is not the norm for goldfish. Do you have a water softener/ RO filter system?

0 GH and 0 KH is not the norm for goldfish. Do you have a water softener/ RO filter system?
No i donā€™t have a water softener, thatā€™s just how soft the water in my area is the filter is just a sponge filter with sponges in :/

No i donā€™t have a water softener, thatā€™s just how soft the water in my area is the filter is just a sponge filter with sponges in :/
That's good. There are properties that have a water softener plumbed in and some types produce water unsuitable for fish.

That's good. There are properties that have a water softener plumbed in and some types produce water unsuitable for fish.
Is my water too soft for the goldfish? Iā€™ve seen people sometimes put carbon into their filters would this help? These are the figures for my area
6E1213DF-62C5-4407-AD5E-266D3D0AE504.png
8FA378EF-016E-4A7A-87BC-DD934199ABDB.png

No, carbon relates to KH which is less important for the fish. GH is the levels of magnesium and calcium minerals and there are some in the Yorkshire water. I am told goldfish can adapt to a range of GH levels and trying to change this aspect of water chemistry is not advised.
My reason for the question was in case you had a water softener which may replace calcium and magnesium with sodium. This could effect a fish's health. Hopefully your fish just has natural colouration causing the dark patch. Goldfish commonly change colour.

That's the water quality report which does not include hardness. Type your postcode here https://www.yorkshirewater.com/water-quality/check-your-water-hardness/ It will give your hardness in mg/l calcium which we will need to convert to the two units used in fish keeping.

Carbon filters adsorb organic chemicals such as medication, tannins etc. They don't affect GH or KH.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back