Black Gravel Vs. Sand?

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
I am getting another tank tomorrow, 30 gallon, and I am still undecided as to what I want to do with the substrate.

Which would you prefer/suggest: Sand, or Black Gravel?

I am going to be homing Cichlids, Labidochromis Caeruleus, and it is going to be fairly heavily planted, but not enough for a CO2 pump.

Any responses would be great!

Thanks
-FHM
 
Black gravel! Only because it brings out the colour of the fish. And I like black :P

That's what I was leaning too?

Will sand yield better plants than if I were to plant them in the Black Gravel?

Or is it the same?

Thanks for the response!
-FHM
 
Why not combine them both together and get Tahitian Moon Sand witch is a type of black sand. It looks awesome and really brings out the fishys colors.
 
Why not combine them both together and get Tahitian Moon Sand witch is a type of black sand. It looks awesome and really brings out the fishys colors.

I just Google'd that type of substrate...and it looks AMAZING! I think I found my substrate...I just hope I can find it around me...?

Thanks!
-FHM
 
I can garuntee you will not be disapointed. I was blown away when I first filled up my tank with it in there. Just stunning. It will also compliment your colorful Cichlids really well.

You should be able to find it as it is quite common but it is a little bit more expensive than other substrates. I believe I paid $27.99 Canadian for a 20lb bag but the beauty of it is so worth it.

IMO it is not bottom feeder friendly as it looks very sharp and has actually worn down a few of my cories whiskers. Yesterday was a sad day for me as I had to exhange the moon sand for rounded off gravel to save my poor cories. The tank is just not the same without it

Also to add, my plants seemed to love the sand. When I uprooted them all yesterday for the substrate change they all had a huge root base interwined under the sand.
 
I can garuntee you will not be disapointed. I was blown away when I first filled up my tank with it in there. Just stunning. It will also compliment your colorful Cichlids really well.

You should be able to find it as it is quite common but it is a little bit more expensive than other substrates. I believe I paid $27.99 Canadian for a 20lb bag but the beauty of it is so worth it.

IMO it is not bottom feeder friendly as it looks very sharp and has actually worn down a few of my cories whiskers. Yesterday was a sad day for me as I had to exhange the moon sand for rounded off gravel to save my poor cories. The tank is just not the same without it

Also to add, my plants seemed to love the sand. When I uprooted them all yesterday for the substrate change they all had a huge root base interwined under the sand.

Sorry to hear that you had to change it out...but what can you do...a fishes life is a little more important then some sand.

Also, how would I go about gravel vacuuming it? Would I even need to do that with this type of substrate?

Thanks again
-FHM
 
i have black gravel and white sand both in my 55 gallon. yes, the black does bring out the color of the fish but the poo tends to be seen more. it doesnt look natural at all and i love natural looking aquariums. the sand i have is pure white and looks wonderful.

i dont think sand or gravel matters to plants very much. i have both planted sand and gravel tanks and both bear good results
 
I can garuntee you will not be disapointed. I was blown away when I first filled up my tank with it in there. Just stunning. It will also compliment your colorful Cichlids really well.

You should be able to find it as it is quite common but it is a little bit more expensive than other substrates. I believe I paid $27.99 Canadian for a 20lb bag but the beauty of it is so worth it.

IMO it is not bottom feeder friendly as it looks very sharp and has actually worn down a few of my cories whiskers. Yesterday was a sad day for me as I had to exhange the moon sand for rounded off gravel to save my poor cories. The tank is just not the same without it

Also to add, my plants seemed to love the sand. When I uprooted them all yesterday for the substrate change they all had a huge root base interwined under the sand.

Sorry to hear that you had to change it out...but what can you do...a fishes life is a little more important then some sand.

Also, how would I go about gravel vacuuming it? Would I even need to do that with this type of substrate?

Thanks again
-FHM

I know :( it sucks but your right my fishes health has come before astetic reasons- I couldnt bear to watch there little whiskers wear away anymore.

You just care for it as you do normal sand. Hovering the vac a few centimeters above the sand and all the poop and debri comes up in the siphon. The sand is not super fine and its pretty heavy so it doesn't get sucked up easily.
 
I can garuntee you will not be disapointed. I was blown away when I first filled up my tank with it in there. Just stunning. It will also compliment your colorful Cichlids really well.

You should be able to find it as it is quite common but it is a little bit more expensive than other substrates. I believe I paid $27.99 Canadian for a 20lb bag but the beauty of it is so worth it.

IMO it is not bottom feeder friendly as it looks very sharp and has actually worn down a few of my cories whiskers. Yesterday was a sad day for me as I had to exhange the moon sand for rounded off gravel to save my poor cories. The tank is just not the same without it

Also to add, my plants seemed to love the sand. When I uprooted them all yesterday for the substrate change they all had a huge root base interwined under the sand.

Sorry to hear that you had to change it out...but what can you do...a fishes life is a little more important then some sand.

Also, how would I go about gravel vacuuming it? Would I even need to do that with this type of substrate?

Thanks again
-FHM

I know :( it sucks but your right my fishes health has come before astetic reasons- I couldnt bear to watch there little whiskers wear away anymore.

You just care for it as you do normal sand. Hovering the vac a few centimeters above the sand and all the poop and debri comes up in the siphon. The sand is not super fine and its pretty heavy so it doesn't get sucked up easily.

Okay great!

If I find this substrate Tomorrow I am going to buy at least 40 pounds of it!

Thanks for all the replies!
-FHM
 
Goodluck, I hope you find some. I know petsmart.com has some listed on their site but shipping costs would be killer on it due to the weight. Maybe have a look in a local petsmart if you got one there they should have some.
 
Goodluck, I hope you find some. I know petsmart.com has some listed on their site but shipping costs would be killer on it due to the weight. Maybe have a look in a local petsmart if you got one there they should have some.

My LFS might carry it. But since I have not heard about it before I have not looked for it there. I will go there tomorrow and look!

Do you think Petsco would carry it at the store? I have one of those by me too. I can check online, but that does not mean they have it at the store?

Thanks
-FHM
 
Well when I asked my little LFS if they had it, they didnt even know what I was talking about. Turns out they did have it though when I went to the back to look. So dont be surprised if they say no or they dont even know what it is.

Petco may have it. Its a big chain store right? I dont think we have those in Canada so i'm not really sure what type of store it is.

With the online/instore thing, i've usually found if somethings listed online the store most likely has it. Especially for the more common items like this sand.

I hope you can find some as I think it would look really nice in a Cichlid set up.
 
Well when I asked my little LFS if they had it, they didnt even know what I was talking about. Turns out they did have it though when I went to the back to look. So dont be surprised if they say no or they dont even know what it is.

Petco may have it. Its a big chain store right? I dont think we have those in Canada so i'm not really sure what type of store it is.

With the online/instore thing, i've usually found if somethings listed online the store most likely has it. Especially for the more common items like this sand.

I hope you can find some as I think it would look really nice in a Cichlid set up.

Yeah, Petco is just like Petsmart.

I know, I am very excited to set the tank up!

With this sand + bog wood + some very nice plants + Cichlids = REALLY COOL LOOKING TANK SETUP!

I will defiantly post some pics once I get it 100% done! :good:

-FHM
 
Well when I asked my little LFS if they had it, they didnt even know what I was talking about. Turns out they did have it though when I went to the back to look. So dont be surprised if they say no or they dont even know what it is.

Petco may have it. Its a big chain store right? I dont think we have those in Canada so i'm not really sure what type of store it is.

With the online/instore thing, i've usually found if somethings listed online the store most likely has it. Especially for the more common items like this sand.

I hope you can find some as I think it would look really nice in a Cichlid set up.

Yeah, Petco is just like Petsmart.

I know, I am very excited to set the tank up!

With this sand + bog wood + some very nice plants + Cichlids = REALLY COOL LOOKING TANK SETUP!

I will defiantly post some pics once I get it 100% done! :good:

-FHM

this stuff is real expensive but its good for plants and looks great!

[URL="http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/mal...%289%20Litre%29"]http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/mal...%289%20Litre%29[/URL]

but it will leach ammonia into the tank for about 3 weeks
 

Most reactions

Back
Top