Black Convict/severum Hybrid?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AlyssaJ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I have been reading online to see if the fact that my severum and convict having hybrid fish is normal, or possible. I'm not finding much suggesting they'd breed together, so here's my story:

I basically took over my Aunt's 29gallon fishtank because she didn't know what she was doing. She only had 1 white severum, and 1 regular tiger barb. I decided to add a small parrot fish to the tank, and a couple of weeks later, the severum laid eggs. Within a few days the eggs turned white and she ate them. I know they were unfertilized, and read forums explaining that parrot fish most likey can't fertilize eggs. So, I ended up adding a dinosaur bichir, and a small black convict. In another few weeks, she laid eggs again. This time... they were fertilized! She is a great mother and gaurds them very well. Now there are hundreds of fry hanging out under her and in the ornament. They look nothing like her, or a convict. They almost look like tiny guppies! I've never delt with fry in my own fishtank, and have never really seen cichlid fry, so I'm not sure what they SHOULD look like. So, I'm sure the tiger barb or dinosaur bichir didn't fertilize the eggs... and story has it parrot fish are sterile. Do I have a weird unheard of hybrid here or is it not rare!? Oyyeee help me. :/

The fry will start to look more like the parents at about 4 weeks of age. The only way to know for sure what they might be is to raise a few to about a couple of inches then post pics here and see what the verdict is.
A parrot cichlid is a hybrid of a severum and red devil, flower horns are some other crosses, pretty much anything seems possible when it comes to cichlids wanting to breed.

Blood parrots are not part severum at all...

Any possibility the blood parrot is the female? Severum hybrids are rare, I've only seen one real sev/con hybrid.

Blood parrots are not part severum at all...

Any possibility the blood parrot is the female? Severum hybrids are rare, I've only seen one real sev/con hybrid.

The parrot could be a female. But I'm positive the severum laid the eggs... oyeee. It doesn't matter much now, they're all gone (unless hiding REAL well) I didn't want to put them in a new tank because I knew I wouldn't be able to take care of hundreds of cichlids, plus I'm moving in about a week so I knew it'd be a hassle. I figured a few would live, and the momma would take care of them. But one day there were HUNDREDS, the next morning, NONE. :( I should've known better. If I find some when I do my next water change I'll post pictures if possible.

Thanks for the replys ya'll :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back