Black Algae

Eebie

Reaction score
Over the past month, I've noticed lots of little clumps of this black like algae growing. It started on one of my plastic plants and is spreading itself through the tank.
It seems to be in clumps and is kind of longish in type.

Do I need to worry about it, or just try and clean it off?

Sadly the tank is near a window, so is this what could be encouraging it to grow?

Black/brown algae is usually due to insufficient light in the aquarium, but if the plants are artificial you can remove them and clean using aquaria disinfectant. Sunlight through windows does increase any algae, could you put background paper along the sides to reduce sunlight?

Sunlight will indeed encourage black hair algea to grow and once it shows up in your tank it is almost impossible to get rid of.
Other causes are high nitrates, excess aeration from airstones and air powered ornaments and high phosphates in tapwater (generally found in agricultural areas). The algea wont hurt your fish but it will soon outcompete any live plants for nutrients and kill them off by covering their leaves.

Black and brown algeas are not the same thing, infact brown algea isnt actually a algea but a type of bacteria which feeds on silcates in the water. Brown algea thrives in conditions with low lighting and so is most often assosiated with tanks that have a poor lighting system although it can be found in almost any newly purchased tank or those with a new sand substrate as it blooms due to the sudden influx of silicates from the silicon and sand. Black algea is most often introduced on live plants though i believe spores may be present in tapwater sources as even unplanted tanks can become infested with the stuff.

Most reactions

Back