Bird Flu In Scotland

Um... from what I've heard about H5N1, it's actually not the very old and very young who are most at risk due to the way it interacts with your immune system. It essentially turns your immune system against you. This link can give you the messy details about how the new strain became more dangerous, but basically, it can cause a cytokine storm in the lungs, which results in pneumonia, can block airways entirely, and is potentially deadly. Those with healthy immune systems, meaning older children and young adults, are most at risk for a severe immune reaction such as this.

H5N1 has been around for years, but the current strain has not. Virii evolve, and the problem is that this new strain has an expanded host range and enhanced pathogenicity... in short, it can infect more species, and it's a worse illness than it once was. Unlike annual flu strains that reside in the upper airways, H5N1 is found primarily deep in the lungs, which makes it more dangerous, but luckily also makes it less contagious. The mortality rate for annual flu is around 0.008%, whereas the estimated mortality rate for H5N1, taking into consideration those who show antibodies for the virus but who never officially reported being ill and presumably had milder symptoms, is around 1.5-2%... it is more than twice as deadly as normal flu (eh-heh, oops, guess that would be more than 20 times as deadly. Where'd that zero go? :p)

That is what everyone is afraid of. This is a major genetic change that has occurred, and if it becomes capable of passing from person to person while still maintaining its current traits, we will have a big problem on our hands. Thankfully, that's a big if and I think it is hardly cause for mass hysteria, but I will say that I think it is wise for world governments to stock up on the appropriate antiviral medicines "just incase".

EDIT: I just have to say... people, please, be informed. Don't just make assumptions about something like this. Ignorance leads to either chronic fear like we're seeing now, or unpreparedness and panic should the worst actually happen (which I'm sure we will see if it does, lol.) As cliche as it is, knowledge is power, and in being ignorant you deprive yourself of that and it can be misleading to those around you if you are giving inaccurate information.

Thank you Synnir, thats the best info ive heard about this so far. :)

I'm surprised at the lack of knowledge a lot of people seem to have about the 'pandemic flu' and what it could mean for the world as a whole. Over here in Canada we've been learning alot about it, even having to develop emergency plans for how to carry on services should this one.. or any major crisis for that matter.. ever hit that depletes our workforce.

They say history is the best predicter of the future... sooooo.......

They say that H5N1 only kills 50% of people who get it...just be smart,stay indoors, and cook your chicken.

Besides, the world needs a little human kill-off, humans have grown in numbers again, nature has its way of eradicating them and balancing everything out again...A good old-fashioned nuclear war will help keep the population down!

The death rate is around 50% for REPORTED cases. As I said, some people have contracted it and had much milder symptoms, as is evidenced by the presence of H5N1 antibodies in their bloodstream. The actual mortality rate is closer to 2%

by the way up there the guy who contridicted me! the goverment did NOTHING.
they only started saying to bring birds in doors because of the dead swawn found. if they brang the birds in months ago and warned us not to touch dead birds we may never of even got affected.

we may never of even got affected.

And how pray tell are we "affected"?

You obviously havent noticed that aside from the 1 dead swan, absolutely nothing more has happened and we are far from affected.
Also, may I point out the salient points regarding a topic such as this;
1. Birds can fly, which unfortunately means they can go everywhere regardless of government plans and legislation ;)

2. H5N1 can only be contracted by humans at present from direct and prolonged periods of contact with infected birds, living (if you live in rural villages and your chickens sleep in your house with you) or dead (slaughterhouses)

3. Until such time as a possible mutation occurs which allows H5N1 to infect humans much more readily and be human to human transmissible, there is no way anyone can produce a vaccine.

4. If you cannot produce a vaccine then your government will have to do the next best thing and stock up on antivirals, it is the best they can do in an unpredictable situation.

5. 1 infected wild bird which could more than likely have flown in from the continent would not have been prevented if the government had ordered all domestic birds in the uk indoors months ago.

6. Who goes around touching dead birds anyway?

Basically Kubora, aside from the fact that I am not a guy (I am a woman thankyou.) I did not contradict you. I prooved you ignorant of the facts is what I did. :rolleyes:

Do some research into the topic we are discussing (and I mean scientific sources not the tabloids) and then come back and join in our discussion about the hype surrounding the H5N1 virus, that way you wont keep making a mockery of yourself. ;)

ownedcat2.jpg

Most reactions

Back