Biorb Queries

hensonc4098

Fish Herder
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
1,110
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Hiya :)

My auntie and uncle have a 30L BiOrb which has gone to rack and ruin and has been overgrown with algea. My uncle says he wants to put it in the bin but I've persuaded them to keep it as it was my late nana who bought it as a present for my little cousin.
The hitch? I have to "fix" it. :X
So where do I start? Well the tank, typically BiOrb, has the rubbish filter that has that awful lava rock stuff in it. I can't change the filter as any work/costs I will probably have to pay for or if they pay for it, they won't really want to spend more than £15 or so I would guess on the whole thing. (remember they wanted rid of it)
Before you say, BiOrbs aren't my favourite kind of tank either but hey ho - it's not mine! :rolleyes: I have a hex and a rectangular :good:
I've not really looked at the filter but according to my auntie it's an undergravel with a spongey bit in the middle. The lava rock allegedly aids filtration but is so jaggy that you cannot put anything like ottos in as they will cut their mouths, and they kinda need ottos to help clean up the algea problem. It also doesn't seem to do a lot of filtering :S It's mainly green algea on the inside of the glass and I'm not sure if the water was a bit green too :blink:
Sooo... my plan is to maybe take out the jaggy rock stuff and replace with chunky gravel which will still allow the under-gravel to work but will allow them to have a few ottos. Also, I would add a couple of plants (they don't have any atm) to try to cut down algea production.
Their current stocking is pretty meagre - a black neon and another kind of tetra, I couldn't see what it was because the glass was so green :crazy: They haven't been able to keep many fish alive probably due to poor water conditions or something.
They don't have a heater though, which I thought was a necessity for tetras etc. but apparently not - they're just slower. Is this so?
Would changing the gravel be ok? And also, about the heater - would some zebra danios be ok in a cool-ish tank? I know they're pretty hardy. If not, is there something else that could as they aren't too keen on goldfish but the expense of getting a heater for a tank with an uncertain future might not be too popular!

I've just realised how long this post is! Sorry guys!!! Thanks for reading :D

Claire :fish:
 
danio's should be fine

couldnt you geta 50 w heater for these from ebay ?

White Cloud Mountain minnow might be an option
 
i woildnt go for danios, they need alot of swimming space

smaller tetras might be better
 
danios wont be fine in a 30 litre, what colour is the algae? is it on the glass or is it in the water? is the tank near a window? what are your water stats?
 
Thanks for the quick response :D

what colour is the algae? is it on the glass or is it in the water? is the tank near a window? what are your water stats?

The algea is green and is on the glass. The tank is near a window but I don't know how much sunlight it gets or if it could be moved (it's my auntie and uncles house). I don't know the water stats as I haven't tested them. I was just up at their house today for lunch and it came up in conversation and I said I would try my best to fix it for them. :good:

Hope that helps!
 
move it out of the window and into a dark corner.

test the water for ammonia. does it have plants? if so, my guess is low phosphate
 
move it out of the window and into a dark corner.

test the water for ammonia. does it have plants? if so, my guess is low phosphate

I would move it but I would need to check with my auntie and uncle. I don't think it gets any sunlight though because the sun comes through the window at the other end of the room and doesn't reach it so I don't think it would make a lot of difference :blink:
It doesn't have plants btw :)
 
move it out of the window and into a dark corner.

test the water for ammonia. does it have plants? if so, my guess is low phosphate

I would move it but I would need to check with my auntie and uncle. I don't think it gets any sunlight though because the sun comes through the window at the other end of the room and doesn't reach it so I don't think it would make a lot of difference :blink:
It doesn't have plants btw :)
i still think that you should move it.
 
There's 2 fish in it atm - a black neon and another tetra, dunno what it was becausse it was hiding at the back and the glass was too green :crazy:
WCMMs sounds a good idea but I've never seen them in my LFS :( what about a couple of danios?
 
There's 2 fish in it atm - a black neon and another tetra, dunno what it was becausse it was hiding at the back and the glass was too green :crazy:
WCMMs sounds a good idea but I've never seen them in my LFS :( what about a couple of danios?
danios are too big and active, you need a heater for tetras
 

Most reactions

Back
Top