biological filtration

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

manddave

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello :)

I have a new pond and was wondering if biological filtration alone would be enough to sustain it (no filter). At the moment I have a pond filter running.

I have only a few goldfish at the moment.

How big is the pond?
How many fish?
Is it in shade or in full sun- or partshade/part sun.

Yes it is possible to go without a mechanical filter. It depends though, on what's involved in the setup.

We have a pond (in the summer) tank rest of the year... 7 monster goldfish and lots of their spawnlings. in a pond... id guess 300galons or so. we run the water fall here and there, thats it.

Hello :)

Sorry I forgot the info :/

The pond is about 3500 litres.
The pond is in partial shade. (about four hours of shade a day) I only have three comet goldfish, about two inches each. I plan on getting some more fish in the future but am unsure what to get at the moment.

Thanks

:dunno: Weve hah MONSTER pondfish (no idea what kind) 15''+ (5 big ones) and tons of tiny ones that we never bought, without any kind of filtering at all. We get all the gunk oout every spring and thats it. Nature does the rest

R.I.P One of my big boys (#6) damn blue herons lol

Nature filter itself all the time some current helps thought. if you aren't overfeeding 6 inches of comets will be fine.

Opcn

Yes, nature does filter itself all the time. But when you "create nature" you usually have to make up for what you're lacking.

That amount of fish should be fine. Make sure to add as many plants as you can, this will help with filtration. And don't over feed. lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back