Biological Filter And Water Temp

Joined
Aug 20, 2006
Messages
4,502
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Calgary Alberta
Just curious if anyone knows if temperature change can kill off beneficial bacteria? I normally use de-chlorinated water to clean my filter pads, but I am just curious if the difference in tank temp and temp of clean water in my bucket can negatively effect the bacteria colony?

Thanks.
 
Not that I know of.

The only thing that I know that can negatively harm the bacteria colony is a very low or high pH level.

-FHM
 
Chlorine will kill off the beneficial bacteria colony instantly!

-FHM
 
other then the obvious of boiling or freezing the water solid, I have never heard of it affecting the bacteria.

Sakura
 
A good wash in chlorinated water might cause some damage to the colony but people do use water without dechlorinating it for their water changes and tell us that the bacterial colony and fish do fine. It is something that I do not do because I never know what chlorination level I might have in my fresh water and the dechlorinator is just too cheap to intentionally go without it.
 
best way to do it is with tank water!
then you wont have a difference just scrub the media against the side of a bucket half full with old tank water, theres no point wasting dechlorinator
 

Most reactions

Back
Top