Bio boost cycle - help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KAFish

Reaction score
Hey guys so i was getting ready to scrap a bio boost cycle that i have been instructed to complete by my local fish store. I am 2 weeks in and they have given me minimal information just saying "put the aqua care bio boost in for 3 days and then after 7 to 10 days add a few hardy fish."

Well i am now coming towards the end of week 2 and the readings i have taken are confusing me a bit
Hopefully you guys can help me decide what to do here

So i stupidly did not do any tank readings at the very start , but after 1 week i did both strip and liquid tests. ill share the liquids asthey seem more accurate:
1 week today
tank
Tube test
ph 8.2 high ph test
NO3 - 40ppm
No2 - 0.5ppn
Ammonia - 0.5 ppm

June 19th (today) morning

Tank
Ammonia 0- 0.25 was super close yellow slightly green tinge.
No3 -5.0ppm
no2 - 0.25ppm
PH 8

I woke up this morning saying to myself that i would restart a biological boosted cycle this time using a tried and tested combo of products such as Tetra safe start and Seachem Prime, or keeping it all Seachem with stability and prime together.

What would you guys suggest, its less me being impatient more that nobody has used these products before and there is so little information out on the web, even speaking to the shop that sold it to me (Maidenhead Aquatics) i get confused looks when asking how i should proceed. One person told me to redose for a single day after 7 days (which i did) then was told by another that i should just leave it. So im DONE with them there just trying to make a sale and offer no infromation.

So should i see how this cycle goes? Seeing as i have little support going forward or switch to products that are heavily documented on forums and the net in general. Swhich if i face any issues or uncertainties you lovely people have years of experience and could help me out a little.

Also If i do decide tostart the bio bossted cycle with a diff product howmuch of awater change would i be required to perform?
Also would i still need to change my filter once the 1 month/6 weeks has been reached or just rinse it off and start again?\

Thanks in advance :)

Don't throw it out because it sounds like you are some way into the cycle and it would delay things to start again. But your tank is not ready for fish. If you haven't already read these guidelines please do so now.

Just start as if you were starting from the begining - the first part will go very quickly because your filter is already dealing with some of the ammonia.

You should be able to just add some Safe Start+ to it if you wish. Don’t start over. Never get rid of your filter media either. That’s where Most of your beneficial bacteria is. Simply swish it in a little tank water to clean it. Use it until it falls apart. I have some over 2 years old.

When you say throw it out are you referring to the filter?

I have read countless articles on nitrogen cycle fish in and fishless so udnerstand it my major issue with my current products is the lack of information, lack of ingredients on the bottle etc and lack in confidence of the staff inmy local Fish shop.

So yeah thanks for confirming ill just rinse the filter in some of the old aqaurium water and leave it in place when i replace 50% water then dose the entire tank with prime? or just the new water? and then follow up with either Safestart or stability.

You should be able to just add some Safe Start+ to it if you wish. Don’t start over. Never get rid of your filter media either. That’s where Most of your beneficial bacteria is. Simply swish it in a little tank water to clean it. Use it until it falls apart. I have some over 2 years old.
My worry is the differing information from my LFS so i have probably dosed the tank incorecctly for this reason i feel a fresh start will avoid any confusion in my head at least. thanks for the help

You can’t use Prime for 24 hours after using Safe Start. You have to use a different conditioner just for the first 24 hours. After that you can start using Prime. For some reason the Prime destroys some of the new bottled bacteria in the beginning.

Cool noted, would you suggest 50% water change or entire?
Also how will my filter cope with no water passing through it for the time it takes to empty and refill the tank

I have read countless articles on nitrogen cycle fish in and fishless so udnerstand it my major issue with my current products is the lack of information, lack of ingredients on the bottle etc and lack in confidence of the staff inmy local Fish shop.

So yeah thanks for confirming ill just rinse the filter in some of the old aqaurium water and leave it in place when i replace 50% water then dose the entire tank with prime? or just the new water? and then follow up with either Safestart or stability.
Do you have fish in or not?
I assumed not and using the fishless cycle method would mean you need to add a source of ammonia. If this is the case there is no need to change the water.
If you have fish in then you should be doing large water changes every time you have a reading for ammonia or nitrite.

Do you have fish in or not?
I assumed not and using the fishless cycle method would mean you need to add a source of ammonia. If this is the case there is no need to change the water.
If you have fish in then you should be doing large water changes every time you have a reading for ammonia or nitrite.
No fish currently as the fish shop said i shouldnt until my water stabilizes to fish safe parameters. My aim was for a fish in cycle. But due to the shop giving me different info ive lost faith in there approach, that coupled with water readings that dont seem to be close to what they should be, i think ive done something wrong.

Most reactions

trending

Back