What do you think of BigTuna's FOWLR?

• I'm impressed

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • He's got potential

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • He should quit now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Tons of places for the fish to hide and swim through it looks like! I bet they love it.
Are you able to get any close-ups of the other fish? :)

IMG_2089_zpsd89fac7c.jpg

My favorite, the Elegance Coral.  This was the first coral I had ever read anything on, well before I got into a saltwater tank even.  I still find it hard to believe I have one in my aquarium! :D

(as you can see, a little algae problem, but greatly improved already as I take my time adjusting to new lighting)

IMG_2083_zps0c4ea641.jpg

Hammer Coral. 

Ninjouzata said:
Tons of places for the fish to hide and swim through it looks like! I bet they love it.
Are you able to get any close-ups of the other fish?
smile.png

I really wanted to focus on building as many caves and hiding spots as possible.  In my previous tank one of the best parts was watching the Tangs navigate through the rocks, and so far this arrangement has been very rewarding.  It is really amazing watching the fist zig zag their way around the tank. 

Heres a bit of a group photo, not the greatest but you at least get a view of the Sailfin Tang, Black Clown and the Jeweled Damsel.

IMG_2110_zps74e82fed.jpg

I see why it's called the elegance coral. Very lovely!
The hammer looks interesting..I don't know anything about corals :p

OoOo I really like the sailfin! They're all gorgeous though. I'm glad you're enjoying your tank and it's finally getting off the ground! :D

This is very much making me want to setup a saltwater tank.....

very nice job Big Tuna. Pondering how to bring up a saltwater tank with my wife. A nano might be the only option :lol:

ReMz,if you are an experienced hobbyist, then perhaps a nano would be just fine?  I've read that at least a 55 gallon tank is recommended for rookies, due to less forgiving water conditions in the smaller volumes.  Makes sense, but if you are experienced at monitoring and dealing with water parameters then you may be just fine. 

ReMz said:

very nice job Big Tuna. Pondering how to bring up a saltwater tank with my wife. A nano might be the only option
laugh.png

Have you tried, "Honey, I have an addiction to freshwater tanks.  I want help, and the only possible solution might be a saltwater tank - to get me away from all this freshwater."???

Tuna, this has been a fun journal to read.  Thanks for sharing it.

thanks eagle!  I must admit, it is a little embarrassing to go back and read about some of the mistakes I made in the past.  But if anyone could learn from my mistakes then it is all worth it.  I appreciate the comments and those that have followed my journal.  It really is a lot of fun to be able to share my pals with you all!  Cheers

That's the key Tuna... its a learning process for all of us.  Any one who thinks they have it all figured out is just fooling themselves. 

Sharing experiences - good, bad or indifferent - only adds to the knowledge base of all.

BigTuna said:
ReMz,if you are an experienced hobbyist, then perhaps a nano would be just fine?  I've read that at least a 55 gallon tank is recommended for rookies, due to less forgiving water conditions in the smaller volumes.  Makes sense, but if you are experienced at monitoring and dealing with water parameters then you may be just fine. 
Yeah I'm aware of the difficulties of keeping a smaller salt tank. Think I'm pretty confident in my abilities.... a larger one would be nice though.

eaglesaquarium said:

very nice job Big Tuna. Pondering how to bring up a saltwater tank with my wife. A nano might be the only option
laugh.png

Have you tried, "Honey, I have an addiction to freshwater tanks.  I want help, and the only possible solution might be a saltwater tank - to get me away from all this freshwater."???

Tuna, this has been a fun journal to read.  Thanks for sharing it.

Lol.... totally bullet-proof!

Seconded Tuna. Thanks so much for sharing as you go along.

:time out:

ReMz, I'm a big fan of the pleco you entered in the FOTM! Just awesome!

:time in:

out of nowhere my blondie is doing very poorly.  I came home from work to see him pointed vertically towards the sand inside a cave.  I didn't even think he was alive.  I dumped a healthy dose of mysis and brine in there (which he has been feeding very well on) and no response.  I tried to disrupt him a bit to try to encourage some feeding, but nothing.  I adjusted a powerflow to see if that would help revive, still nothing.  As much as I didnt want to I ended up pulling him away from the rock which finally got him moving.  He actually looked normal for a few minutes, gently swimming, certainly not looking like a fish in trouble.  But very soon later he began swaying back and forth almost sideways, and then to a new cave where he went on his side on the sand.  I tried to get some seaweed in there for him, but he didn't care.  I am at my last resort so I moved him into a very large compartment in my sump that is used for UV Ster and a frag rack.  I put some live rock in there and some seaweed.  My 'fuge light is off, and my room light is also off.  He looked ok for a bit, but again not eating and not exactly upright.  I can't see this ending well. 

I should add that all water parameters are fine, and all other livestock is well. No sudden swings in temp or salinity at all.  Everything has been consistent since I began adding livestock. 

Any suggestions?

I should also add that it appears to be healthy, no visible signs of sickness.

I have no idea unfortunately :/ I hope he pulls through for you though!

I actually think it might have a problem with constipation???  He has some stringy poop hanging, and noticed that a couple days ago as well but never thought anything of it....  (not saying he's had poop hanging for two days, but two separate times)  Is it possible he is sick and just is trying to get comfortable?  Anything I can do to help?

Im leaning towards putting him back in the display tank

I really dont see how the fish can possibly turn around and make a recovery at this point.  I have a new theory as to what happened.  I ended up going through another battle with hair algae prior to me adding fish.  Some more CUC, lighting adjustments, and chaeto in the 'fuge and the stuff started to clear up very rapidly in the DT.  This left a tremendous amount of algae clump in the aragonite which I tried to siphon during water changes.  The tangs love to graze, and the big Naso was able to pick the larger clumps from the sand.  Is it possible that along with the algae it took in aragonite and is unable to digest or pass it through?  I fear I've made a tremendous error, and helped contribute to this fish getting ill??????

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back