Biggest regret in fish keeping?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishies4Ever

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just wondering what some of your guy’s biggest regrets are after being in the aquarium hobby for so long. I have only been in it a few years and mine would probably be that I got some reallly cool fish but then realized how many other species I could have gotten. I am still super happy with all my fish I just wish I thought it through a bit better.

Just wondering what some of your guy’s biggest regrets are after being in the aquarium hobby for so long. I have only been in it a few years and mine would probably be that I got some reallly cool fish but then realized how many other species I could have gotten. I am still super happy with all my fish I just wish I thought it through a bit better.
The solution to your regret is just to buy more tanks. Then you can get some new species of fish. Problem solved :lol:

Many members here have MTS disease.

Last edited:
Not doing a lot of research and just going off of the Petco or PetSmart website and buying a 1 gallon tank for my first fish (a Betta). At least I did weekly 75% water changes 😭

Getting a crown tail betta. I love Bluey, but when he got fin rot, it was SO hard to tell. I have to scan his fins all the time to make sure it’s not coming back.

Biggest regret in fish keeping?​

That I don't have more space in and around the house to set up more tanks...

For me it is the realization it is a hobby not a lifestyle (for me). Had up to 7 tanks due to mts, two 10 gallons, two 20 longs, 37, 60, and 75. Weekend would come by and I would have to maintain all those tanks, this was taking too much time reducing the time I spent hiking and kayaking, things that help my physical health. I mostly keep angelfish and found that the ones in the downstairs tanks not as interactive with me as my fish in tanks located in our family room. In the end I downsized, much to the benefit of our local fish stores, to only 2 tanks 37 and the 75 gal. I can fully service the filters, vacuum the substrate, replace 60% of the water, and prune the plants in 2 hours now. In addition, my angels see us all the time making the servicing the tanks more fun for me because they follow me around the tank as I prune the plants and vacuum the substrate.

Other regret is getting a couple of tall narrow tanks. Anything over 20" tall is a pain to work with and are only appropriate for fish that need that depth. Pterophyllum scalare is not really tall enough to justify a 25" tall tank.

My biggest regret is most of what I did my first 20 years of fish keeping. I memorized everything my local library had on keeping fish, which was not much and not at all useful. I knew nothing about the nitrogen cycle, how to properly treat illnesses, fish compatibility, proper tank and school size, on and on and on. It was almost entirely trial and error back then, and I killed many fish by simply not knowing better.

Most reactions

trending

Back