Big Big Problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Unfortunately, Pnyklr, I'm at a loss as for what occured. I only have one dwarf left and if I see any signs of occurence with him, I'll certainly try a broad-spectrum antibiotic right off the bat, but it's a shot in the dark at best, since I have no idea if we're dealing with bacteria or parasite.

So, are we just assuming what our fish died of was a result of major inbreeding? Mine din't show the pine-coning of dropsy, but we had many of the same symptoms. I guess i want to make sure it's not a disease that is contagious for my other fish, and that it wasn't something I could prevent.

I'm not certain myself :( Its very possible that they already had something (possibly caused or impossible to prevent due to a weakened immune system caused by intensive inbreeding or some sort of hereditary disease or increased succeptibility to a 'gourami disease' though I still haven't traced the site where I read that :p ). They may also have contracted something and simply didn't survive long enough to show any recognisable symptoms. Could've even been that annoying 'fish tb' (never can remember the correct name) which seems to have very variable symptoms but is also very highly contagious.
Point I'm making? I have no idea :( which is a shame as it could help other gourami owners in future to know what they're dealing with and may save fishy lives.

Out of curiosity... how long did you both have the fish before they first displayed symptoms/died?

As for preventing, you may not be able to prevent the particular fish from dying but quarantining new additions for a month or at least 2 weeks will keep contagious diseases and parasites from spreading to your other, healthy fish. It also helps to keep your water in the best possible condition and feed a wide, varied and balanced diet for a stress-free and healthy environment.

I got mine at the end of April....so about 6 months. I thought about it being TB, but wasn't sure from the symptoms.

Actualy I've been doing some research and it looks like the symptoms point towards an internal bacterial infection (same as what can cause dropsy). This kind of sickness is quite easy for fish to catch if they are stressed or kept in bad conditions but dwarf gouramies must be even more vulnerable because of the inbreeding. Darkening of color s also associated with this sort of infection so it seems highy likely that this is the explanation. Various antibiotics can help treat the infection, combined with some salt and excellent water quality.

Unfortunately, much as I love the dwarfs, I will not be getting any more.

Oh that's too bad... Do consider other gouramies though :)

My major concern now is that my other fish don't get it. I have a harem of apistos, and I've read that they are intolerant to medications.

Cichlids? I don't know much about them but you could probably use half the dose or something - IF they caught it (which they hopefuly won't :) ). Just make sure the water is in good condition and feed them nice foods and they shouldn't catch it...

Oh that's too bad... Do consider other gouramies though

Don't worry Sylvia. I love gouramis! I have 2 blues (females) and I'm looking forward to getting my filthy little paws on a couple of pearls (females). I simply won't be getting any more dwarfs.

Most reactions

trending

Back