Bichir Eel

Boggnials

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have been feeding feeder fish and little fish my friend at my lfs gives me. I just got shrimp pellots today but I dont know how to feed the shrimp pellots. i was thinking about getting some ghost shrimp for the eel.well all the help is greatly wanted. :band:

:fish: I only feed my bichir prepared foods, I don't want him looking to live fish as a source of food.

Also, I've heard that they can quickly be conditioned to only accept live food, thus going hungry when switched to prepared foods. So you may have to continue with the feeder fish(even though as I understand it, they contain very little nutritional value). It seems like Ghost shrimp woud be a good way to go, maybe someone else knows more about using them as a food source.

My eel quickly learned where the spot was that I'd drop his shrimp pellets(sinkers), and goes to this place in the tank any time he's hungry. Occasionally, I'll notice him amongst the floating plants eating leftover floating cichlid pellets or flakes, though he mostly seems to prefer the shrimp pellets.

So try putting the pellets in one spot each time you feed him, instead of scattering them about.

Good luck! :drink:

As said by cory feeders are not a good source of nutrition and prepared food are better for your bichir.
I have 3 bichirs and none of mine are evr fed feeders, i feed mine on a diet of sinking carnivor pellets, meaty frozen foods like mussels and cockles (shelled) and live foods like earthworms bloodworms and ghost shrimp.
If you have other fish which will get to the food before your bichir then as cory mentioned you will need to place the food as close to the bichirs hiding place as possible, feeding just before lights out will also help if your bichir is reluctant to come out and feed when the lights are on.

Most reactions

Back