Betta With Back Problem

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

zophie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I never really noticed it, but I have a Betta fever of 104!
I really need everyoneā€™s help urgently, so please read!!!
A week ago, I went into my LFS and saw something crazy. In a tank, full of angelfish, was a plain, red, veil-tale Betta SWIMMING AROUND WITH THE ANGELFISH! Immediately, I panicked, and urgently told the pet-store guy about it.
Well, he said that that Betta had serious back-problems, and couldnā€™t swim properly. So, he had just put him in a proper tank so he could scoot around on the bottom. Sure enough, he was scooting around on the bottom of the tank, struggling to swim around, but very much alive.
I watched him for about ten minutes, and by the end of those ten minutes I was in love. ā€œTalia,ā€ I told myself, ā€œyou donā€™t have the space, the money, or the guts to deal with another Betta- especially one whoā€™s just going to die.ā€
Well, the next day, I found myself in that pet store. There he was, scooting around, looking at me with that funny little face. The thing about him was that even if he couldnā€™t swim, he was very much alive. Part of me doubted that he would die quickly. He seemed totally healthy, and really alive and interactive.
At that point, I wanted him so bad. I left though, reminding myself that I didnā€™t have the money to pay 150$ on another Betta set-up.
Well, the next day, my friend called me and told me that she had a spare tank. Her Betta Sumi had just died, and she didnā€™t want another tank.
I picked it up, telling myself that it would come in handy, trying not to think about the guy who couldnā€™t swim. When I went back to the LFS today, I was convinced. I need that Betta!
So, now, I need your help. The tank I got is TEMPORARY, as it is a drum-shaped 2 gallon, small and not very pretty. It is quite tall, though, about 12 inches, and it wonā€™t have very much floor space (8 inches?)
Do you think this tank will qualify?
Of course, I can always get another. What Iā€™m REALLY worried about is the fishy.
Will he die in the next month or something? And if I do get him, will I have to take care of him differently from any other Betta?
Help needed urgently. PLEASE REPLY!!!!
Thanks!

Thanks very much!!

Usually I wouldn't venture into this kind of thing, but when I saw him I just had to get him...
I think he has some minor fin rot, he's really ugly, and he has a hunchback, but I'm just in love :wub:

Thanks very much!!

Usually I wouldn't venture into this kind of thing, but when I saw him I just had to get him...
I think he has some minor fin rot, he's really ugly, and he has a hunchback, but I'm just in love :wub:
It sounds to me he may have been born with a deformity of his spine or an injury occured while it was very young.....just a guess. If it has difficulty swimming then maybe a smaller tank would suit him so he is not struggling around too much. Normally I would recommend nothing smaller than a 2.5 gal tank but in your case what you have may do. Have you got room for a filter and heater in this tank? If he has fin rot well that could have been caused by the angels nipping him. Fresh water and salt should help that. If you love him and you want to spend the time to look after him so he can have a good life even if its only for a little while.....then go for it. He certainly won't last long at the pet store swimming with angels. Let us know what you decide :good:

Can you put up a pic? Internal parasites can cause the spine to bend, but would be easier to help if we could see him.

Lisa x

If he struggles to get off the bottom it must be great effort, for him to get air so a shallow tank would be much better or you could be putting him in a lot more stress than he must be you may think you have rescued him but im afraid i have to say i would humainly end his stress,and i wouldnt even consider buying a deformed fish, it just makes that shop think they can sell anything,but as you have him now you must make life very easy for him. i once had a female break her spine during breeding and she could only just manage it to get air and feed so i couldnt bear to see her suffer as she was always having rapid gill movement after getting air not nice to see.....

Well, I got him today, and I love him all ready.

Unfourtuntly, something happened... read this...

Oh poor boy :sad: I'm glad that you decided to give him a chance. You sound like me,- I take in all the waifs, strays and disabled :good: (Like my ferret Jax who was kept in such small cramped quarters as a kit and on a very poor diet that he never gained muscle condition and now has permanent rear end damage).

What happened with your new boy? I can't see any link?? x

Oh, LOL, sorry....

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/364470-betta-with-back-probelm-and-finrot/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back