Betta throwing up 5-6 pieces of food at once?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Noah is a problem child with eating as he is a dragon. Totally blind on left,, getting much worse in right. What he used to get sails right by him now.. so it took about 10 minutes to get 5 or 6 pieces in him (small ones, soaked in water, and he easily usually eats this much at time). Suddenly all that time and effort was for naught... all the pieces came up in one go. I've heard of (and dealt with) bettas spitting up one piece of food. This guy was so weak when I got him he couldn't crunch very tiny pellets (no not the cheap kind from petsmart). Spit out everything. (One t a time though) So I crushed it and he gained strength until he COULD chew and swallow.
But this wasn't one piece. It was the entire meal at once. Thoughts? Help? Suggestions? I was trying to condition him to eating in a ring. Wanted to put floating plants in the tank. Someone suggested frozen brine shrimp to lure him. We did that a few times but we were wasting so much even using tweezers I gave up on it and started pellets again. Could that have messed up his digestive track? I don't want to euthanize or give him away.but I won't keep a fish I can't feed. I'm also on disability and can't keep buying fod after food.

What is the best flake food? I always thought they were made for different kinds of fish and weren't appropriate for bettas.
For my money, New Life Spectrum Optimum Flakes has the best quality ingredients.
One of the things you want to look for on the ingredients is using whole fish and not fish meal.

I use bug bites for my fish. They gobble up everything they see lol. It's high quality as well

For my money, New Life Spectrum Optimum Flakes has the best quality ingredients.
One of the things you want to look for on the ingredients is using whole fish and not fish meal.
Thanks! I'll get some when I go into the town my doctors are in Wed. (Have an appointment that day. 30 minute trip. So not worth going into town just for that! Little dude will make it another two days.)

I heard they sink quickly, though.. It takes my guy a long time to find food. He's almost blind.
If you get the slow sinking pellets and crush the pellets up just a bit they float at the top for quite a while actually before falling. And then they drift down slowly when they fall

Thanks! I'll get some when I go into the town my doctors are in Wed. (Have an appointment that day. 30 minute trip. So not worth going into town just for that! Little dude will make it another two days.)
Omega One is another good quality brand.

Here it is..

1663101330268.png

I would go with frozen foods if possible. He will have less trouble digesting them, and you could hold the food with a pr of tweezers that have a round end. Feed him a little bit several times a day.

Don't add or remove ornaments otherwise you will mess up his mental map of the tank.

As a general rule, if fish stop eating then euthanise them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back