Betta Tankmates - Harlequin Rasboras?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SouthernCross

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I was reading the sticky thread up the top and someone suggested that harlequin rasboras can go in with bettas. I was just wondering if anyone has ever actually done this? I've never kept harlequins before myself - do they not nip at all then? I know most tetras do, but harlequins are not tetras..even if they look similar. Just interested in people's experiences if they have them.

Thanks

Hey everyone

I was reading the sticky thread up the top and someone suggested that harlequin rasboras can go in with bettas. I was just wondering if anyone has ever actually done this? I've never kept harlequins before myself - do they not nip at all then? I know most tetras do, but harlequins are not tetras..even if they look similar. Just interested in people's experiences if they have them.

Thanks

I kept a betta with harlequin rasboras before. It was a 15g high, densly planted, and it had 9 rasboras, some pygmy corydoras, and the betta. It was an active, peaceful, pretty little tank.

llj

I've only kept Rasboras with female bettas. They completely ignored each other. I have angel fish and corys in with them now and they also ignore those. Mine are very peaceful and just swim back and forth in their school.

I haven't, but I'm on the verge of getting a betta (the filter's cycling in my other tank) and I intend to try putting my rasboras in with it and seeing what happens, with the escape route of the main tank for them if things turn nasty. Fingers crossed, it won't!

Yeah, I asked because I was going to get my betta in his 5 gallon a couple of tankmates. I was thinking some cories, but it seems its good to give bettas a bit of salt regularly and cories can't tolerate it constantly. Which made me think a small group of rasboras might be better, since supposedly they're not nippers like little tetras...

So still keen to hear if anyone has done it safely! Particularly with a male betta.

A Betta may be fine with Harlequins but if you do decide to keep them together then you'll need a bigger tank than a 5 gallon.
Harlequins will need plenty of swimming room as they can be quite active.

It's a very long, tall tank for a 5 gallon. You can see it in my thread here -

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...186917&st=0

I'd probably only get 3 or so if I did. Never know, I still might get some little cories anyway.
personally i wouldnt put rasboras in that 5 gallon tank, they are active fish that need more room to swim about,a few pygmy cories would go well.
also, just a note, they are shoaling fish and i dont think 3 is enough, i would say 5 min.
other tank mates are ottos, pygmy cories, snails, ADF's and shrimps.
they will all fit in well

Yep, Harl's would be fine in with a betta.
Never liked them until I was convinced by my lfs to at least try them.
And what do you know? I've actually come to really like them!

But as has already been said, you are going to need at least five-six or seven would be better if you can fit them in.

EDIT: Some backdrop and heavy planting wouldn't go amiss either. Mine tended to cling to the back of the tank till I figured this one out.

A 10G would probably be your best bet as Harlequins are active. Even though your 5G is high, they need the swimming space lengthways. I'd also get at least 5 as they do a lot better in groups. I have 6 in my 48G tank and they always stick together, they look great.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back